Snell SA2015 / SA2020

Is there any requirement either WKA, SKUSA, etc that states how old a helmet certification can be. I understand it’s your head, take care of it. If I was to get a closeout on a SA2015, how long would it be good for. SCCA autocross has a limit and I’m far less to have a crash or rollover in a car vs a kart. Just asking before dropping several hundred dollars. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Yes they all have a minimum year designated. It’s generally in the rulebook, however the WKA rulebook is has to be purchased.

The snell certification i think is good for 10 years, so a SA2015 would have e to be replaced at the end of 2025, most of the time if you snell certification is good they are ok with your helmet

1 Like

And I assume neck collars are a thing of the past. Not seeing many wearing any. I’ve been out of karting for 20 yrs … but we’re back. Can’t wait.

1 Like

It’s series dependent. Round here neck collars mandatory (f-series,gearup, OVRP, NJMP and other rental leagues).

Almost all tracks and series in the US require a neck collar. However there are no standards for them perse.

Welcome back to the sport! Neck collars have evolved from the big and bulky foam style like the simpson collar or even g-force collars use to be. I wear a thin EVS collar that is quite comfortable but still gives a level of protection in case of roll over. I got mine off amazon for roughly $40 I believe. The 360 device is really nice but can be uncomfortable at the same time too.

If anything look into a nice ribvest

Truth. And to cut this off at the pass… get a bengio.

2 Likes

Most Seniors aren’t required to wear neck braces anymore. Juniors and below are mandatory, but I don’t think I’ve worn a neck brace since 2017. I carry it with me just in case a local track requires it but you might not need one depending on where you are.

2 Likes

In this case I defer to your knowledge and say check with your track\series to be sure.

1 Like

Helmet ratings are indeed 10 years. You can save a couple bucks buying the previous rating (SA/K2015).