South Park Kart Grand Prix (Quincy, IL) 2018

Disney?! I thought ‘The Park’ was the most magical place on earth :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like
2 Likes

Where are the class rules listed? Engine, bodywork, fuel etc… can’t find them anywhere. On Quincy site it only states weight and if it’s cik body only or not.

I’m planning on 206 heavy, first street race for me!

1 Like

Good question… looking at the site there’s not a lot to go on in terms of specifics

It’s an NKA sanctioned event I believe. I’ve dropped them an email to confirm and will update when I hear back.

Open tire, 4 cycle is open bodywork (except the ignite classes), 2 cycle is CIK

Thanks Chris.

I think he’s looking for details of the technical ruleset that’s going to be used, especially for
Yamaha, TaG and Shifter classes.

I believe it’s NKA rulebook, but I didn’t catch anything on the site confirming this.

206 is running under the most current Briggs rules, 87 fuel from the HyVee. Yamaha’s are WKA rules, open fuel.

TaG was dropped because no entries. No idea what rules shifters are using.

1 Like

Emphasis mine. Wait what?

Open fuel but must meet -55 cyclo test

Can I be irritated that there are no JR 206 classes in any of these races except for Ignite?

Live coverage slated for the event, co-ordinated by students at Culver-Stockton :

Grand Prix Director Terry Traeder and Brian Kroeger, Culver-Stockton College marketing and public relations coordinator, made the joint announcement Tuesday about the livestreaming. Details are still being completed, but race fans will be able to enjoy Saturday and Sunday action on YouTube, either live or later.

Both Traeder and Kroeger praised the work of Adams Networks in helping make such a transmission possible.

“I can’t thank Adams enough for their assistance in a project like this,” Traeder said. “This kind of technology was not even available when we used to hold this.”

Kroeger said the project will be a “great experience” for the Culver-Stockton students who will be involved with the production.

“We’ll have a staff of about six involved,” he said. “It should be exciting.”

http://www.whig.com/20180606/grand-prix-of-karting-to-be-streamed-live-indy-car-to-be-on-hand#//

Here’s the replay of the live video stream. No audio though :disappointed:

https://youtu.be/YUfaJ92DZQk

Had a GREAT WEEKEND!

1 Like

I was very much looking forward to the revival of the Quincy Grand Prix, not just because it was a revival of a classic karting event, but it was also a revival of a sort of old school vibe in regards to karting.

But most of all, I was looking forward to seeing just how a group of 125cc shifters would tackle this perilous and intimidating circuit. They didn’t have much in the way of Go-Pros or on-board cameras the last time they raced at Quincy, so this would probably be the first time we would see in-kart footage of shifter kart racers racing on this circuit. I was anticipating, and hoping, this would be some of the most exciting karting video seen in quite awhile.

They did not disappoint…

(Joe Ruch on-board video, 125 shifter final):

2 Likes

I just caught Joe’s video on facebook. That first section, decent pucker factor :smiley:

2 Likes

Without a doubt, the most exciting on-board racing video I’ve seen in a long time, and that goes for all 4-wheeled categories of racing. I cannot imagine a more exciting karting video showing up this year than this one.

The whole danged track seems to have pucker factor. What for me was really amazing to watch was the last turn before the start/finish line. They were blasting down that last straightaway section in sixth gear, flying past the trees, curbing etc., then the moment they get on the brakes, they hit what looks like a bumpy section, upsetting the kart, then the turn itself seems to have all sorts of odd camber to it, and a challenging apex…blast over the s/f, a big jump, and start all over again. Amazing.

1 Like

First few laps of the Yamaha Heavy final. The “Monaco” of karting is spot on, 10,000 people watching in the park is no joke, it was awesome. They had some teething problems that were frustrating but I’ll be back next year. Such a cool event that lived up to the hype. It should be on your karting bucket list for sure!

3 Likes

Would you mind picking out what you think is the most action packed lap from your video and let me know what time that starts around.

I think I’ll make a bit of an onboard compilation from the event.

Assuming it’s OK to use a part of your video

1 Like

My customer in 80 shifter hit 83mph. I would assume Joe and the other fast 125’s were in the mid 90’s.

Oh yea, and we hit atleast 75mph on 4 different parts of the track.

Unique track surface was interesting to tune to, extremely hot and muggy (4000+ft of DA on Sunday) made engine tuning a challenge, not to mention the constant threat of rain.

I would like to see more obstacle protection next year. Trees at close to triple digits are scary as F**K. image

1 Like