Once again, let me say thank you for putting up with my barrage of questions. I got my motor started for the first time in my ownership (and likely in about a year) the other day, and it decided to celebrate the occasion with a small fireworks show emanating from the clutch. Out of concern for that turning into a large fireworks show, I shut the motor off. Extinguisher at the ready, I started the motor two more times, with fewer sparks on the second start, and only a handful on the third on initial start–as I recall they eventually went away completely.
I was told the clutch was brand new and had never been used, and a quick google search seems to indicate that some sparking is normal as the pads are shaved down slightly when they contact the drum. Have any of you experienced this? There’s no obvious metal-on-metal contact visible, and given that the sparks have decreased dramatically, I can’t imagine that was ever the case.
I appreciate your help on this! I’m chomping at the bit to get it out on track. Assuming the clutch isn’t going to spontaneously combust, that could be as soon as tomorrow.
Edit for clarity: the motor is an LO206