Sprocket and chain?

Where are you located?

San Francisco Bay Area

What age bracket are you in?

Senior

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your mechanical ability, or willingness to wrench on things?

6, 10 (6 on mechanical ability and 10 on willingness)

Talk a little about your racing experience so far.

Gone to K1 speed several times. Not really good (26.80 at South SF track) but definitely getting more practices before driving an lo206. I am really not aiming for competitions and just want to have fun. I just bought a used Compkart roller and need some advice on mechanical work. Also some tips on how to get a better lap time will be awesome.

What’s the main thing you need help with to get you started.

What kind of sprocket and chain I should get for an lo206
Thank you!

#35 chain and red split sprockets.

I’m sure someone will jump in and say 219 is better because of …

1 Like

Welcome!

Is there anything on it already? If there is… just run the same.

No there isn’t any sprocket or chains

1 Like

#35 tends to be more economical. Do you know what gearing to run at your local track?

Thanks. I haven’t checked on the gearing yet. Can you elaborate more on that?

being yur a just getting into karting 219 is not a concern yur not trying to find the gearing nich many struggle with on 219 that’s put them between a ratio that cant b accomplished with 35 I advise u to buy sprockets for yur clutch 15 -20 then u can start finding yur tracks best gearing ratios for yur weight class

1 Like

It’s the size of the sprockets on the engine (clutch) and rear axle.

Similar like to a bicycle with gears, you can change the front and rear gear sizes. Although with a kart you can only change it in the pits and use one ratio at a time.

Can’t say I recommend getting a bunch of clutch drivers at the outset when you don’t need to. Works about that when you plan to race at different tracks that require It… if they require it.

Talk to your local track and racers to see what ratio they recommend. For example, I have 15:63 on my 206. 15teeth on the engine/clutch and 63 on the axle. This is with a #35.

Gearing is adjusted per track and conditions, but starting out there’s generally a gear that’s perfectly fine to get started off with on a particular track.

So there are two chain types you are likely to find on a 206,#35 and 219.
The only important difference is in the ‘pitch’ ( distance between the roller centres) 0.306 inch for 219, 0.375 inch for#35.
Obviously you have to use 219 sprockets with 219 chain & #35 sprockets with #35 chain but otherwise either is okay.
Assuming you have a clutch on the engine, determine which chain type you need either by the markings on the clutch sprocket or by measuring the distance between the ‘points’ of the teeth using pitch dimensions above.
Count the number of teeth on the clutch sprocket.
James has given a figure of around 4 for the gear ratio so the rear axle sprocket you need ,to start with ,will have 4 times as many teeth as the clutch sprocket.
If your 206 engine is on the right hand side of the kart you need split sprockets as the sprocket carrier on the axle is ‘inboard ’ of the axle bearings.
(I am assuming you have a sprocket carrier on the axle, if not carriers are standard parts with 6 hole fixing for the sprocket, just get the right bore for your axle, 40mm. diameter?)
Chains come in different lengths described by the number of rollers .102 -114 for 219 chain and normally come as a’ loop’.
You may need to ‘split’ the chain or slide the rear axle out to fit the chain.
The length of chain you need varies with the sprocket sizes and engine position. Easiest way IMO is to get a chain splitter suited to the chain you are using, buy the longest chain and shorten as required.

Karts have a sprocket in front and one on the back like a 10-speed bike. By changing the diameter of these you change how quickly the kart accelerates but also, it’s top speed. Interestingly, the faster the top speed, the less acceleration from low speeds you have.

Anyways, for each track there’s a preferred combination for a given engine or class, basically.

You are gonna need a front sprocket of X teeth and a rear of Y teeth.

You need to go ask a likely suspect what the gearing is. Basically go ask someone for help.

2 Likes

As far as ratios are concerned, 219 and #35 have the same ratios for the same gear count. Very slightly different, but not anything you need to concern yourself with.
This gear ratio chart will cover almost all the available ratios using #35 chain.

[quote=“cliu0404, post:1, topic:4762, full:true”]

Thank you. Yes I think I have the sprocket carrier. But is it supposed to go between those two blue brackets? image|375x500

Thank you for your information!

Thank you! There is this lo206 complete kit and it has several options for the clutch. Should I just buy the clutch + sprocket or just the clutch and buy the clutch sprocket from somewhere else?

Clutch and sprocket from the same place I think is a good call. Did you find out what sprocket sizes you need?

You have the sprocket carrier there but it is positioned for a 2 stroke engine where the clutch and chain are on the right hand side of the engine.
For the 206 you need to move the carrier to the left hand side of both blue’ brackets’ (axle bearing casettes).
You will need to slide the axle out to the left to reposition the carrier and provide for fitting a driving key to the axle as you have in its present position. (See below)
It is often the case with these engine changes that the clearance between the axle sprocket and / or chain run, and the chassis cross tube is very small or non existent.
If you can get the make (Compkart ?) and model no. of your chassis,you could enquire of the distributor or on here as to what size rear sprocket you can fit in , or if there is no problem.
This will affect your choice of chain type and engine sprocket teeth for a reasonable ratio.
Question for the ’ community’ : With a 206 and a 40 or 50 mm axle can you ‘get away’ without a drive key on the axle sprocket carrier and just clamp the carrier to the axle?