Starting Out in Karting Seattle WA Area

Well, I’m at SIMA today. Anyone else around? Look for the scruffy dude wearing a Mariners cap.

1 Like

Thank You for the input,I will keep your opinion in mind… ; }

I’d also highly reccomend @Eric_Gunderson1’s book “Karting 101”. It will save you time and money:

https://store.kartpulse.com/product/karting-101-getting-started-in-competitive-go-kart-racing/

Bryan, thank you for your review from your experience. I have been formulating what will work for me because of a great many variables, all resolvable but I do not want to learn at my wallets expense. If I reck something then it’s on me but if I purchase an expensive piece of equipment that may not be allowed on the track bothers me greatly fir you have extremely limited resources.

I really am in love with the Vortec Egine made in Italy :it: and I asked and awaiting someone to answer a real big question for me for I can not locate anything that tells me what I can or can not do, use, build, etc., to build a Kart you are willing to give it seat time and learn how to drive a Kart you really want. I am willing to allow seat :seat: time on practice tracks, using a very good simulator and go to meets near us and watch, listen and learn as much as I can. That’s good for me and I need to really give that deeper thoughts when getting Karts for the remainder of my family team we are trying to build.

I have mind boggling concerns about equipping, dressing, training so many in a very short order and not break the bank. I am willing to upsorbe initial heavy costs involved and I need it to level down and allow me to understand the costs based upon series of races, ages of Racers, style of racing, etc., has a lot of initial outputs.

The great thing in DavinRS is trying to get a resource page of sorts that will assist me greatly once it gets off the ground. The blog administrators here are really on top of those and many more important issues that needs addressing , to build, promote, and make it easier for someone like me to get involved. For, I am looking at the output vs the available resources that will support our plans rather then me figuring out the multitudes of data needed to do what I wish to do. So, I decided not to let things bother me and I am going to just get one Kart at a time and when we get our third type of Kart we can honestly see how to progress, get back to having fun or else it is not worth the crazieness?

If anyone has the low down on Vortec I would love to hear about stuff that is not public marketing strategies to get you to buy their crap. I really want the real low down and BROTHER THATS WHEN YOUR KART MEETING ONCE A MONTH WOULD BE GREAT. I WOULD EVEN ATTEND IN OTHER NEIGBORING STATES, OREGON, IDAHO, :canada:. It would be worth it to make good contacts and build your address book with like minded folks that may be doing things on their own that they would hire their expertise out and you could save money that way. So I hope some positive movement about monthly or even bi-monthly meets and move them around? Thanks and may your sails be full on a calm day. :eagle::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::woman_astronaut:t5::spades::cowboy_hat_face:Scout©. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by real low down as it pertains specifically to the VLR.
But I can say in general, compared to a 206, the 100cc TaG karts (VLR, KA100, X125AC) as they are called are certainly faster, but you’re going to be spending more money and more time keeping things in running condition.

Generally, comparing a Briggs 206 with a 100cc TaG:

Chain and tire wear will be increased.
You’ll need racing fuel and racing oil, vs pump gas in the 206.
You’ll also use twice as much fuel, if not more.
You’ll have less tracks to choose from to race it (for the moment anyway)
Engine maintenance costs will be a little over double, perhaps more depending on how many laps you end up turning.
You’ll have to understand jetting/carburation in a little more detail.

I understand the some of the cost break down:

1. Chains, are not too expensive, tires you need a new set for race day, older tires ok for seat time pratices, but will require a new set for the race. You may get away with two races on a new set of tires but that’s about it and to be competitive I believe this is true for the TAG’s, 206’s as well?
  2. Gas at the track is approximate but our area costs are $60.00 dollars per 5 gallons of gas and for Race day alone you will need three five gallon containers, $180.00. + practice.
  3. I am not a racer yet so I do not know why racing a Vortec gives you less places to race? If you are running a TAG in the race I could not be in the race because of_ __? Why is it more limited using that engine, I understand the extra maintenance.
  4. The TAG engine to be competitive, I been told, .I do not know for I am not a racer, that you rebuild the top half twice and the bottom once a season, if I am correct, this is the same recommendations for Vortec. Is it made in the USA :us: has any impact in folks opinion on quality, performance, etc. Vortec from what I can see has a competitive engine and the down low means, I know Vortec will tell you anything for a sale. I was referring to a review on performance by Racers who drive the Karts. They can tell me if it is quick as advertised, how is it side by side with other brands, that’s the “low down”. When my son started his build, I told him to keep one thing in mind, horsepower equates to speed, which equates to money :moneybag:. The faster you want something the more you will pay, that’s common. My question is, does the Vortec out perform other engines and if so how much faster are they? I can not get that level of honestly from a manufacturer?
    Thanks for your inputs, It made it things to think about. My feelings is, if I am after the podium then you have to have a Kart that is just as fast or better yet faster and setup better. For me It is a very costly sport and they mixed in several levels of intentions in the same race? Why does that happen, then the other intention drivers can compete and have funds and as their skills and finances increase they can move up to more competitive types of races. Let those that want to turn lapels and newbies run together and the novas lets have fun but I am putting in my best efforts to win.

The Vortex VLR is made in Italy. There are no two stoke engines made in the US for karting at this time.

Good 219 pitch chains are about $60 I think?

It varies, but it’s not universal that you will need new tires for each race, especially starting out.

Very few are offering a class for it at this time. A mixed 100cc class will be adopted at some tracks next year. It looks like it will be allowed in the mixed 100cc class in your area.

Generally, yes. One top end with a bottom every second top. Of course it depends how many races and practice days you end up covering in a season. figure sub $200 for a top and around $500 for a bottom. So budget for $900 in maintenance during the season. Vs probably zero for the 206

The VLR is usually run in a class of it’s own, or in combination with the KA. They are within tenths of each other.

Honestly, it sounds like you’re on a budget and will likely be running more than one kart. Get a couple of 206 based karts, some sets of used tires and start turning laps. Podiums generally don’t happen in the first season, unless it’s an uncompetitive class.

The VLR is a fine, quality 100cc package. But at this point I don’t think it’s the right package for you.

I’d agree with James.
Right now Charles, my best advice for you would be to start coming out to the track and looking at the karts up close. It’s the best way to get proper context on where to start, which I’m 99% certain should be an 206 to just get seat time, until you understand karts and the cost more.

Find a kart shop to help you get a chassis and support you with an engine, and start doing laps.

Thank You James for the comprehensive response to every concern of mine, this is why I LOVE THIS BLOG, it has became my favorite even over my survival blogs, maybe because I am not lost as a survivor just as a racer​:rofl: I want you to know that between my researching, looking and evaluating Karts on YouTube, getting questions answered there as well. Between You and the Person I truly turn to for information DavinRS and I am Blessed he is in my back yard so hooking up at the track watching and learning is possible. That’s us what Joshua and I did this summer and got in three race weekend about six days at the track from July 2018. You both settled me down a great deal and Joshua and I will be going into the Heggler Shop (hope I spelled it right) to see how they can set Joshua And I up with three 206’s and have them be my Scout and help me setup a rig that is good for my size currently, knowing I will be downsizing once I loose more weight. I am not looking at racing competitive for a couple of years of training both physically and operationally, knowing how the Kart will respond, muscle memory, etc., all requires a good amount of seat :seat: time, good coaching, and being in the best shape I can get into and know that’s good enough even if I do not run one race :checkered_flag:. I am in it for family fun and exposure to real racing not street racing that I use to do and that’s not good for anyone…DavinRS, I think everything is over here in the North West but when You go to the track to practice we would love to just be a fly on the wall and help you tote :handbag: things around volunteering for exchange for the ability to just observe and be able to ask questions, it’s all worth it for me. I want to become as good as I think I can be for it has been in my blood since I was a teen…:spades::cowboy_hat_face::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::dove::revolving_hearts: Drop me a line if we can setup a time to meet at Heggler for an introduction to your team if you do not [email protected] (253)205-9881 Thanks Charles stockton

Huggler Racing does driver coaching at PSGKA. You just need to contact him and setup a time.

It would be a good idea for those who knows how to tune, and work on Karts to be able to charge a decent hourly wage teaching folks like me, or become an adviser. Folks like me needs a lot of help d for guys like me who find it hard to ask for help, do not want to ever be another mans burden! I would love to know who in my area would like to hook up for practice days where you can get tips. One man said he paid 8 hours for his daughter to have a coach there for her but that really sounds real pricy for someone like me who has a crew of at least four drivers with the potential of six drivers. So my approach is track coaching for a whole team, whereby, you help each of us for a couple of hours a month and we work on translations from coaching, using the PulseKart Family for advice, practice what’s been taught no pratice on a simulator, then I think my whole team of drivers will get advice on proper braking, approaching the Apex and how best to navigate training and not reinforcing bad techniques that may become very hard to extinguish. I just need more then I know and that’s an over whelming feeling and that could cause a less motivated person from joining the Kart community. You have to have your stuff down by race day and not running around asking for help when folks just do not have the time to help me, they are in it to Win it as well! So anything is better then where I am at and that’s lost. I am going to see if there are any syberg Monday sales any where. Keep working on this, I wish zip could help but that would be the Blind leading the blind, with No Offense at all meant to the visually impaired…Peace Out :spades::cowboy_hat_face:Scout© :checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::us::eagle::dizzy::wine_glass::baguette_bread::dove::revolving_hearts::pray:t3::call_me_hand:t4::clap:t3:

thank You for the update, it was useful data to be had. Question, what is an 8 hr day of coaching costs, it seems like it would be very expensive. If not I would love to get my grand children into that training as well. We are in the Greater North West Seattle area and there is a training club at my local track, I would like to put the costs side by side and see or make sure I am getting what is competetive training at a fair price, everyone gets paid, I know this, I just would like to know how much it is in Texas.

DavinRS, thanks for the suggestions and I will take you up on that suggestion on training at Heglers, they can also help me with my setup and Joshua’s setup. My Kart will have to be built a little larger then the ones now, is that possible getting your chassis modified to sit a bigger seat for a larger man. I have started working out at the gym to start my fitness training, a hella ways out but a step in the right direction is one less step towards reinforcing bad habits. One day I will be there and I plan on surprising a lot of folks, I have the time to train, I have the funds to start to run one Kart at a time with two drivers getting trained up, then the next two Karts get built for the individual and we train up those two and we will have four trained and well built Karts, ready to [email protected] email me your contact data for Heglers, names of team coordinator do zip can present what zip want to see happen vs what reality states is the best course of action to take, for I do not possess that knowledge.:spades::cowboy_hat_face::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::revolving_hearts::dove::clap:t3:

Lets keep the info in the discussion always best of have information on the forums so others can benefit.
Here you go. Huggler Racing Engines

Let’s add a bit more specific information.
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hugglerracingengines/
Phone: (253) 219-1011
Email: [email protected]

Thank You Gentelman, for the contact information. I apologize if my communication is not up to protocol! I am not a blogger really and do not know the ins and outs to blogging social etiquette and May inadvertently have done or said something that I should’nt have? Any way I will be more careful in the future. I will use it in the near future. Charles :spades::cowboy_hat_face::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::call_me_hand:t4::scorpion:

DavinRS

[Davin Roberts Sturdivant](https://forums.kartpulse.com/u/davinrs)

November 26

Let’s add a bit more specific information.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hugglerracingengines/

Phone: (253) 219-1011

Email: [email protected]

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

KartingIsLife

[James McMahon](https://forums.kartpulse.com/u/kartingislife)

Founder

November 26

Lets keep the info in the discussion always best of have information on the forums so others can benefit. Here you go. Huggler Racing Engines

ThaNo You, I have the contact data saved, and I will be in touch soon…I went to Heggler’s webpage and found a lot to check out​:+1:t3::clap:t3::call_me_hand:t4:

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi TJ, I am 6’ 2", tall and weigh 300 lbs currently. I am in the gym and target weight will be 220 LBS and under, my ideal would be 190 lbs and that’s my final goal. I plan on building a Kart that can be big enough for me to actually fit in and not be so uncomfortable that It become a hinderence to progression? My Son is 6’ 3", and weights 190 lbs, so I need to ensure we have Karts that allows for leg room for breaking and excelleration easily, width of drivers seats for our bottom side to fit comfortable. These are the main concerns. After I loose the weight, I will have another Kart customized to fit my new size changes. Thanks for the response​:sparkles::dove::revolving_hearts::spades::cowboy_hat_face:Scout©:checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash:

I want to go and would love an update on dates, exact location and any other information that will support us in gathering data. I intend on going with my Wife and Son to pickup on anything and everything offered. I will be documenting the hole trip and add the data to my Track Book. DavinRS, wrote a post a few months ago about documenting your track activities, weather, Kart behaviors, Track conditions, your health, attitudes, etc., and maintain detailed records for each track you practiced on or race on. You need to document your training as well. I am a journalist (not professionally), I maintain a daily journal for my daily life, do I really see the advantages of keeping records. I have a track binder, with dividers separating Tracks visitited and data learned during that race weekend, collecting and making contacts. I really am interested in the Vortec and would love to see first hand a competitive side by side matchup? Thanks, please keep me aware of the particulars or where I may find it and track it for myself.:spades::cowboy_hat_face:©:checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash:

Up in your area the Vortex VLR will be run in the NW Gold Cup. Dates are here: www.nwgoldcup.com
Aside from that, plans haven’t been announced for more local tracks.

Personally I’d focus on a 206 program for the first year given it’s sounds like you’ll have multiple karts to buy, maintain and manage.

Have you spoken with many people in the area yet? That’s really your next step.

Talk to and visit people in the areas and find yourself a good used example of a 206.

I agree and will be talking with Huggler Kart Engins, they run a local team and I have an expert driver also willing to have a sit down with me. I have received nothing but welcome and really sound advice that is focused on my current situation. I earn everyone load and clear concerning the 206 in both maintenance and drivability for folks starting out. I have sent Huggler Kart Engine an email to setup a time for us to visit their shop and find out what will work, what will not, what’s worth the expenses.Thanks for the response.:spades::cowboy_hat_face::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash: