Surprise Forum stats for October

Well if that were true would I be able to write this message? I doubt it, so thumbs up to you. Give yourself some credit.

I have a good one (tagline):
KartPulse, where…

5 Likes

“KartPulse - where AI means Actual Intelligence” :grin:

1 Like

There’s been a couple, get your heart racing was one. Very generic though.

More recently Karting Enthusiast Network (ie EKN backwards, allbeit unintended)

Another one which is the meta tag right now is Karting’s Community Hub.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure its because you host my karting calendar post…looool

2 Likes

This should be on every karting T shirt in every paddock.

8 Likes

Yep! That’s a t-shirt for sure… with the KartPulse logo added in a graphically pleasing way.

Your assignment, @Bimodal_Rocket , should you choose to accept it… :grin:

Appreciate that but it’s gotta be Oktane Visual

Happy to try… what are my marching orders?

TJ wisdom + Oktane?

Yes with a KartPulse logo too. I will immediately buy 5 of them for our whole garage.

1 Like

ok ill see what i can do

The karting community as a whole has utterly and completely killed its reach and ability to be found online by abandoning the operation of individual websites/forums and joining Facebook. Very few involved seem to understand the significance of the following statement - Facebook posts/comments are not indexed by search engines (which is bad enough), but the content there cannot be easily found even within Facebook itself (Facebook search being hopelessly broken):

Please consider this conversation about these subjects from my post on another motorsports forum:

Thanks hoser, this is the perfect conversation to illustrate my point. That you have decided not to take part in Facebook is actually a great help in this regard:

I believe you carry (an understandable) assumption that is essentially, ‘Well, Facebook is the preeminent site everyone has gone to, they left places like this so therefore it must have some things going for it, and certainly something like being able to search the content would be an afterthought.’

Unfortunately, this IS COMPLETELY WRONG. :-)

Just look at the results from the link you gave site:facebook.com 'fl400' at DuckDuckGo. All of the results are either “Group” homepages, profile pages of companies, or “Marketplace” ads. None of the search results from this link include any of the actual content from the groups themselves (e.g., individual posts).

“Well, this must be because the search for “FL400” is such a general search that, of course, nothing but very general results will be listed”
So, what happens if we make the search more specific: “fl400 drill piston” - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Afacebo … fab&ia=web - what results come back for that? Absolute *shit, with nothing relevant to the subject at all, and more specifically NO GROUP POSTS (again the individual content people are posting).

You’re not missing anything, there is nothing that anyone is “missing”. Facebook does not allow indexing of individual content (by using robot.txt files and other means) and does not not even provide a remotely useful search function of its own content. As I keep saying, after a post goes off the front page of a group it is all but disappeared for future use/discovery.

Why is this happening? Because Facebook has somehow calculated that it is in their interest to direct attention/eyeballs/clicks in other ways. imho, the bigger question is why have so many motorsports enthusiasts mindlessly gone along with this and not realized at some point that their content is being flushed down the toilet along with it’s/their chances of being ‘found’.

4 Likes

totally agree. Also, even if you fix the indexing/search criteria, FB and socials are dispersed in a ton of pages and groups, so it all gets diluted. To make matters worse, anybody feels compelled to add their own opinion, even when they have no clue at all about karting. A forum somehow has its own way to balance things, if anything just the extra effort required to register tends to reduce that noise. Human moderators also play a big a part in it

2 Likes

I lasted maybe 3 months on Karting FB. Thats a crappy place in general and totes not good for karting. Its like that shitty Karting TV show had come to life, somehow.

1 Like

Speaking of which:

Can I get vector files for the various KP logos?

@KartingIsLife

I don’t have any vectors believe it or not…
Ill add a link to what we do have to staff area.

1 Like

James you can always send it my way. It’s probably 10-15 minutes to trace and convert to vectors.

I say we mod Clayton. That way he can have access to James secret file stash. (I’m thinking of adding random cat pics when no one’s looking).

Oh boy that’s alot of responsibility sorting all your cat pics.

I can’t state enough how much help this forum has been as a new karter in the last year! This community and its archives are an invaluable resource to people joining the sport! Thanks for running this site and thanks to everyone who has helped me along this journey so far!

1 Like