Tall Driver Cramped seating position

Seems like a ton of work for what shouldn’t be a major problem. At 6’1 that is. Take it to a shop. Getting corner balanced with seat adjustments/pedal movement I bet you can get comfy.

Again, I would look at adjusting the pedal stops on the kart to get more room, you should be able to have them rotated to leave more room at your knees and bring your feet further without needing a porch kit.

For reference, I’m 6’2" and neither of the two karts I drove this past year had pedal porches on them and the seat was set at the factory settings, so I’m sure you can get yours adjusted without this much hassle.

The DR definitely had more legroom, just because that was they way I had it set for the event, but both karts were comfortable to me and I didn’t have to make any major seat adjustments to get them to work.

1 Like

Aaron , thanks for your wisdom, I totally agree with you. I want the easiest option without hassle. Plus keep the seat at factory settings (which is my current setup)

Can you send me a photo of your pedal setup w/reversed stops?

If I had my kart with me, I would. There should be two bolts near the pedals that act as the maximum and minimum stops. You can loosen the nut on them and adjust accordingly. If someone else has a photo it’s a lot easier to understand when you can see it. If it still confuses you, you can take it to a shop and they should be able to do it pretty easily.

From the first pic, it doesn’t look like you’re sitting all the way in the seat and leaning forward, see the gap between your back and the seat top. Also, I can’t be sure but it looks like you have a seat covering. Either remove it, if you can or buy a right sized standard fiberglass seat, make sure you can sit all the way in it.

Also it looks like you could afford to tilt the back a bit.

Here are some pics of what I have done to my kart. Like Aaron said, you don’t have to move the pedals pivot points like I did, but you can set them so their resting point is further forward. It may require extending the brake rod. (less than $10 for threaded rod, coupler and jam nuts).

I also flipped the steering block upside down and mounted in highest holes to raise the wheel as much as possible.

After a crash I did replace the steering shaft with a longer one, but only gained a centimeter or so. A spacer for the steering wheel hub may help too.

OTK heel stops mount to the triangular lower steering support. There are two pair of holes to adjust length and the block can be rotated 180* or the bar can flipped angling forward or rearward.

Mine is currently mounted on the front extension, but they make similar pinch style mounts for your style steering support. (#14)
birel-heel%20stop

I found my right foot bouncing off the bare throttle cable on bumpy tracks with the pedals further forward, so I found a “clamp on cable stop” from a local bike shop to move the cable sleeve closer to the pedals. Clamps around the frame and I was able to use the adjustment collar that was already on the kart. ($5) This shortened the exposed cable and lowered the exit point from the sleeve preventing my foot from contacting it.

Do you wear a Rib Vest? If not, I would suggest getting one and ditching the excessive padding on the seat. It will allow your spine and hips to be further back in the seat as most vests only have side padding. If you still have gaps, you can pick up some high density foam from the hardware store and cut it down to fit where you need it in the seat. When you are ready for a new seat, try sitting in a few before you buy. I am sure a local kart shop or fellow karters will let you try theirs to get a feel for size and brand.

Do you know the measurements you used to mount?

Could you be more specific?