The standard upgrades to an OTK

Did you go to H or A axle?

I have liked the A axle actually as well.

I went to an H.

My mind is in a pretzel trying to figure out why that worked…maybe has something to do with my seat position further back than yours as I have mounted off the OTK chart. I guess I’ll need to try the raised rear ride height on an N and compare.

Oversteer could be from over-flexing at initial turn-in and lifting too hard, going into flat-slide as you approach apex. Harder axle could settle it down and keep it from over-twisting the frame.

If a track is green sometimes you’ll get a flat-slide like that instead of a hop.

1 Like

That would make sense, as it rained here Monday/Tuesday.

Could’ve also tried reducing rear track as well I assume. That was a bit counterintuitive at the time as I also imagine loose on entry means more stability needed/wider rear track. Always learning something.

Thanks for thinking through that TJ, much appreciated.

1 Like

TJ,

Curious to hear your thoughts on how the standard A axle compares to a cut N.

Thanks

The A is slightly stiffer so it’s a step between the N and H. It’s a good baseline axle if you’re doing more regional or national racing where the track is going to get grippier and you need to start a half step stiffer.

A cut N is going to give a tiny amount more sidebite than the standard N.

I always start on the N and usually go straight to the H once rubber goes down. But the A could be good if you’re taller or the track starts out grippier.

So this is probably an obvious question, but I’ll ask it any way.

So would cutting the A have the same effect as cutting the N, i.e. a touch more sidebite?

My regular track, (AMP) never really gets rubbered up, but on the N axle I experience quite a bit of hop in a couple of spots, so I 've tried the A, and I like it, but it does feel a bit too free in a few corners, although the hopping is reduced significantly.

I’m a little on the taller side at 6’ ft, wiegh about 170lbs. I run X30 master’s typically though, so I have to add quite a lot of weight to the seat, which Ive tried to keep as low as possible.

T11VG seat mounted about 1cm back from the standard OTK position (this on a 2023 chassis)

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread :slight_smile:

Cut A should do the same thing and add a bit of sidebite. A good test to see if that’s a direction you want to go would just be to narrow the rear track a bit and see if that fixes the issue. Easier and less of a commitment compared to sawing your axle. The narrower rear track will semi-simulate how a cut axle will feel, but it will be a bit more unstable.

However, I will say that if you are splitting hairs on being too loose on the A vs having a hop on the N, it could likely be a driving issue. At that point you’re fine-tuning so minutely that it may never be ‘perfect’ and you may have to decide if you want it freer or more hoppy and drive around it a bit.

You could also try adding a dot of negative camber on the N to try and dial out the hop.