Thinking of buying a kart

I’m an old geezer, recently retired and bored.

Just happens that there is a small karting track about 20 miles from my house.
I’m kind of thinking karting might be something that will give me more to do and keep my driving skills up. I don’t want to end up like my father who became a menace on the road.

At least for now, I’m not really thinking about formal racing, just trying to get around the track as fast as possible. Competing against myself.

I’d want my own kart. I’m thinking LO206 engine with centrifugal clutch.
One concern I have is spending a fortune on clutches. Assuming I drive like your grandmother, that is, half throttle a lot, how long is a clutch going to last? How about tires? I was thinking I’d probably use medium hardness.

I guess my biggest question is, am I going to be kicking myself for not getting a 125 shifter kart? I drove a rental at the track, which probably had an a 206 motor and acceleration didn’t exactly snap my neck back. But simplicity and reliability are priorities.

I’d want a good kart. I’m not rich, but I think I can afford a pretty good one. Any karts you care to
recommend?

Thanks a bunch.

3 Likes

I don’t see how you can ride the clutch like one would in a manual car. The clutch engages at pretty low speed and I think you will find it’s fine.

Tires. Hard tires last a good while. If you plan on racing, I’d go with the tire that the series uses. If you just want to lap cheaply, a durable set of hards will last a while but will have a bit less lateral grip. I suspect folks here can make suggestions as to brand/model.

You probably won’t regret not getting a shifter, but you’ll never know until you go that route.

We generally try to guide towards more accessible and “easier” vehicles at first. Shifter karts are the pinnacle of kart racing and are expensive and brutal. Large piles of money required and there’s quite the learning curve, mechanically and driving wise.

Lo206 will not have much in the way of acceleration, which is part of its charm. They are driven to maintain as much momentum as possible. It’s a very technically precise form of driving that is ideal for new racers. Teaches you how to drive really well because you HAVE to be efficient.

what track is near you is it a oval or a road corse

Interested to know how old is considered an old geezer :slight_smile:

Start with a 206 in a senior chassis, if you do find you’re pining for more speed then it’s just an engine swap to a 125 tag which is easy enough and will give you plenty more speed without going shifter crazy.

Tyres, I run Komet K2H which are chewing gum grippy. I’ve never run with the kind of super hards folks on here make last a whole season :scream: mine last a race and a month of practice in between races, then they’re done!

I think we’re mainly geezers here anyways.

3 Likes

I myself got into karting this year and are in my later years (about 50) its all relative :slight_smile:

Started with Lo206 which is the most inexpensive and easy class to start with. Clutches are durable and don’t need replacing often - although my first season I imagine it could last me another half season.

Its a great class but as many recent “I’m thinking about getting into karting” threads have stated its best to see what your local classes look like. For instance, the local Lo206 class here tends to be the younger kids with a couple older people with a total of about 7-8 racers. The World Formula class here is about 12-15. The difference with World Formula is you get more power, just a little more expensive engine wise but the same simplicity of maintenance and tuning as the Lo206. You can also usually run on road races whereas Lo206 is usually only sprint.

As for tires, usually about $225 a set, you can get away with a few races at first and as you become more competitive may want to run new tires ever race once you are in the top 3-5.

Richard, if you have to ask…

1 Like

Its a road course. I’d have to check, but I think it’s about a mile.
It’s in Colorado, USA.
Pretty twisty. Longest straight isn’t very long. Not a fantastic track, but reasonable. Yearly membership is five or six hundred dollars.

1 Like

Uh, oh, I could get myself in trouble here.
I’m 66. No offense if you’re older than that.
I’m actually in pretty good shape. Just after posting this thread I went for a pretty long ride on my bike.
You won’t see me in the Tour de France, but I’m doing OK.

I’ve seen the World Formula engines. I’ll give them a look.
I think shifters are going to be down the road for me, if at all.
I think it’s going to be LO206 or World Formula.

1 Like

ok so whats your budget and how much are you wiling to spend per year

I am 70 and active in power sports. I visit my local track also jumped in a couple of rentals and then bought a shifter kart. I applaud your interest and guarantee you it will keep you sharp and in shape. I Purchased with one thought in mind and that was to just make laps then consider racing if applicable. I’m having the time of my life learning driving skills. I go to the track by myself so the biggest problem I had was starting the kart, not to mention the consequences if I spun and stalled it. Until I found a starter socket tool that fit into a drill motor and fit the crank nut (accessed by a small hole in the seat) I was ready to sell and get a TAG. Without this device the shifter kart would not of worked for me. I’m glad I kept it I highly recommend you go karting no matter what chassis you end up with. If you need information on this tool email me at [email protected]
Good luck, go BIG!

1 Like

Sorry it’s taken me a while to respond. I logged on, after a few days, and couldn’t find my thread.
If I buy a kart, I’m pretty sure I’ll go with the world formula. Sounds exactly like what I’m looking for.
I’m looking at an Emerald kart. Maybe a TopKart, if I can get one with a world formula motor.
I thought I had a link, but it looks like the last thing I copied was the link to Springfield Armory.
I’ll get that link.
I figure a total cost to get equipped of around $7,000 US. They raised the price for a yearly membership at the track. It’s $650 US now.

OK, here’s the link to the Emerald kart I’m thinking about.
I don’t know enough to know if it’s a good kart, but seems like pretty good for the price.

I just spent a ton of money on a new bicycle, so I’ll probably wait till January or February to buy the kart.
Couldn’t keep up with the young bucks with my old ride.

Hey Randall,

I’m guessing that you are speaking about Action Karting in Morrison. There is also IMI, SBR, Grand Junction and also a new track that will be opening at the Royal Gorge. I would recommend that you look at some of our local shops. I go thru Point Karting since it’s based in Arvada and has great service. They also carry the VLR by the way.

Also, we have the Colorado Karting Tour that is a blast. If you do want to race a little bit, I’d look at the LO 206 class. Specifically the heavy classification. I raced it in 2018 before moving to the light class.

1 Like

I recommend this:

TM KZ10ES (TaG shifter engine): Electric, push button start, & the engine stator charges the battery. About 40 HP. Maintenance intervals are top end @ 100-140 L/26-37 gal, bottom end @ 400-440 L/105-116 gal.

Thanks for the link. For some reason searches don’t come up with much.
IMI is the track I’m close to. If there is a track in Morrison, that wouldn’t be a long drive either.

So what is TaG.
I’ll probably get a pull start.
One of the things that turned me off to shifter Karts is it sounded like you have to push the kart to start it. My running days are over. If it ain’t your knees it’s your hips.

Touch And Go:TAG

Electric onboard starter as opposed to not

Generally refers to 125cc

1 Like

Hegar Manufacturing have an electric start kit for the Cr125. That would be a great combo for a weekend warrior who needs the shifter fix.