Thoughts on cleaning radiator with a steam cleaner

Hi. Season has ended and iam doing cleaning od everything… i have a steam cleaner and wanted to ask you guys if its a good idea to clean the fins and the inside with it?

I cleaned my radiator out on my old Leopard a few years ago. It was made of Copper. To my ignorance I used tap water in it and it left behind some terrible calcium deposits clogging up tubes. To clean it, I rigged up a pump and some hose to circulate a warm solution of CLR and Distilled Water to flush it out. It got most of it. The remainder I was able to get out with a Vinegar and Distilled Water Solution.

As for the Outside, I would just use soapy water, a scrub brush and maybe some compressed air to clean it up. They make Fin Combs to straighten out any dents or bends in the fins.

Lesson learned. Only use Distilled Water in the Cooling System!

Radiators are brazed together from aluminum, and the brazing temperature is barely below aluminum’s melting point. A steam-cleaner shouldn’t harm it at all.

If it melts out some stupid European leak-sealer goop and it starts leaking tell me what brand of radiator it is so that I can run far far away from it. If it leaks after steam cleaning get used to adding a Bar’s Leaks tab to your cooling system when you drain and fill it.

I have an original iame radiator the big size that i got on the start of this season​:+1: and yeah it didnt melt :rofl::rofl:

Buy Dasty from okmkonsult.se, makes everything like new!

YUP i haev like 10 0f those works like a dream @Lborka

2 Likes

This?

Yes, the bottle in the middle. Absolutely magic! Makes engine like new :joy:

It would appear that one is for glass and one is for aluminum. I guess it’s also a general cleaner for countertops etc.

This one, Classic degreaser

1 Like

TIL Black Friday in Swedish: svart fredag.

I’ll admit I’m disappointed there are no umlauts involved.

Here’s a bit of movie trivia: name the film:

"Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti… "

Difficult language :grin:

Hahaha what movie is that from, more like Norwegian (Norska)

It’s from the credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And, I believe you are correct, they were being silly about Norway.

It’s a bit hard to explain, but basically they snuck a discussion about a moose biting someone’s sister into the credits.

They also do a lively song about Finland.

Ahhh okay, never heard about them :joy: Maybe too young.

Fun fact, Swedes, Norwegian and Danish people all understand each other’s. But Finnish is no go, could not understand a single word from them except sauna and olut (beer)

Aren’t the Finns notoriously taciturn?
I recall a joke about two Finnishguys drinking together in silence and the punchline was “are we here to drink or talk?”

Bwoah. Also, is Bottas also a Fin? He’s a man of few words.

Haha yes, they don’t use the vocal cord if they don’t have to :joy:

I could imagine that one is true!

Yes Bottas is Finnish, wonderful guy

Ya svart fredag och cyber måndag is good sale on stuff.:monkey_face: i get it from there or the local store. Its super nice and it reacts when water gets it so wet the kart spray it on wait 5 min maby brush it and its new