Tipping Out of Seat

I would argue against this. It depends entirely on a persons physique and weight where arms and legs are. Seat position is set for balance of the kart, not for comfort. When it’s balanced, you are where you are comfortable or not, there does come a point where you’re so uncomfortable it slows you down then you make a compromise comfort vs optimum balance, but start with balance. You’re looking for around 43% front 57% rear weight distribution to kick off with.

Just my opinion :grin:

Also looks like the steering shaft is rather long, so that could be bunching up his arms a bit.

1 Like

ok good, I was thinking the same thing. My wheel only sticks out maybe 1" above the front fairing.

It very well could be an extended shaft for a laydown seat. :man_shrugging:t2:

Yes, you want the seat in a position for balance, but this one is WAY forward based on the pictures.

1 Like

There’s some good information on the dichotomy of comfort vs performance when it comes to seat position here: Let's talk about Seat Position

1 Like

On the what now? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like
1 Like

While we on subject of higher edumacation…

James I intend to thoroughly read this. Thank you so much!

Dom and Warren, I teach in higher ed, and today my TA counted me saying the following phrase seven times: shit’ll buff out… hopefully with all the help I have received my seat issues will buff out too!

2 Likes

Hey, Bryan, just watched your video. Would you say you have a lot of racing knowledge or are you very new to the whole concept of where to be on the track? Like the guys say, everything you were doing on your very first day in cold weather has to be factored into how you looked on track. What I’m asking is do you fully understand how to find the correct racing line through a turn? If not then be sure to spend a few minutes with somebody who races your class.

Being completely new to karting you have to expect to be slow compared to seasoned guys. But you will find that slowing down even more but going through corners on the correct line will immediately improve lap times. It might sound odd to slow down to go faster but in some corners you lost huge time being in the wrong place. Perfectly understandable first time out.

I read where you were having fits keeping yourself seated in the kart and I assume you had to hang onto the steering wheel to maintain body control. That would account for why your hands were in such bad places on the wheel. You want your hands at 3 oclock/9 oclock rather than the 10:30/1:30 I saw and even worse when your right hand jumped up to 12 oclock to corner. Unless your hand position was to keep yourself in the seat then you need to spend time correcting that. However, you seem to be fully aware now that how you sit in the seat and where you are in the kart have to be correct in order to both enjoy karting and improve.

Just think, soon you’ll look back on your first day and first race and chuckle while you’re having a great time this summer.

1 Like

I think this is because you’re pulling the wheel with your inside arm rather than push with your outside? Push with your outside arm, hands on wheel at 3-9. That will also help keep you in the seat.

1 Like

Quick hand guide and then a disclaimer.

Hands low: takes the “power” out of your hands. Wheel is primarily turned by “pulling” down and towards body.

Hands high: Here your arms become poles almost and you are more braced to the wheel. Your ability to influence the wheel is very powerful. Your arms become the lever in an Archimedean sense. Small inputs have big effects.

Hands in between: sorta both.

So what’s correct?

Sorta whatever you need when you need it. Personally, I move my hands around quite a bit. But I am comfortable in my driving and am doing things for a reason.

Maybe I am nervous and overdriving: I take my arms out of the picture, I hold the wheel super lightly.

Maybe there’s a turn I set a certain angle at entry and it makes sense for me to have hands high there every time, but then I shift to a neutral position.

Sometimes I get tired and my arms need a break and I drive more with my feet.

Anyways, it can vary.

But yeah, a neutral normal 10/2 with you more pushing into the wheel, rather than pulling at it, is the general idea.

If you want to get a good understanding of this go into a sim you are competent at. Drive with only one arm until you can do laps at pace. Then do same with non dominant arm.

You will very rapidly understand a whole bunch of stuff that would otherwise take a while to explain,

This is probably not the recommended way to go about this. Generally, my coaches have found this behavior perturbing. But, the student persists. So, there must be a reason. It might be old age and pig headedness but I don’t think so.

1 Like

I actually found the opposite. Hands lower on the wheel gives me more leverage and power on the steering wheel, while higher up hands reduces the leverage I have pushing on the wheel, making my motions on the wheel are weaker. I’m not sure if it is different for individual people, but I certainly find it easier to drive with my hands on the bottom half of the wheel, with more strength on the wheel versus up high.

1 Like

Agree with Aaron. Hands low gives more leverage. Hands high takes away your biceps and forces you to drive with your shoulders. That’s why I always coach to move your hands up if you’re a sloppy driver.

Let’s not overwhelm and derail our friend’s topic with a discussion on hand placement. He’s been on track once and we don’t even know if his seat is correct yet. Long way to go before worrying about hands.

3 Likes

Wierd! Low to me means you are tugging at the wheel with the arm feeling low relative to the rim.

In a sense it’s more powerful because it requires you firing your forearm more explosively (pull or push) but it’s therefore easier to “overdo”.

So, in my case, hands low is paired with very light grip and is mostly a resting state. I’m deliberately being light and weak.

1 Like

Agreed. The general point I was trying to make is there really isn’t a correct answer and that a standard, normal position is what you should do.

Sometimes folks are told that it must be X way. Nah, not the case.

2 Likes

@Terence_Dove book ‘Learn how to master the art of kart driving’. @Bryan_Krass i and I’m sure others can’t recommend enough that you get your hands on a copy. It’s a very easy read full of colloquially understandable stuff.

2 Likes

Lawrence, I am pretty good at finding a racing line around most corners or at least I do when in rental karts. Where I have had issues in the past has been not identifying some corners as double apexes and trying to them into a single apex corner.
However, with my 206 kart I can identify the proper entry and exit points to a turn, but hitting them has been the issue. Part of this is the aforementioned problems with staying in my seat and the confidence issues I suffer in addition to not being able to control the kart through most of the turn.
I am also not used to tires that are this grippy, and the footage y’all have seen was from a cold day with not a lot of adhesion, so imagine how much worse my problems were when I went back to the track and found that my tires would grip, but my seat wouldn’t grip me.
As for my hand jumping to the top of the wheel… this happens on nearly every lap going into the same banked left hander. Other people have mentioned that I looked scrunched up in the seat, but I feel like the 12 o’clock position is all I can reach for at that point. I am going to have my wife take pics of me in my race gear in the kart from all angles with my current seat so I can have a better idea of how my body is positioned.
I’m excited to get my new seat so I can just stay in the kart and then actually focus on fixing all the things on I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for input, Lawrence!