Tire wear diagnosis

Most people only are flipping or rotating them if tire wear is going to be a concern later in the race day.

With a kart’s front geometry, I don’t think cambering the tire either way on purpose is going to help, as the inside front tire is tipped heavily during moment of high wheel input with all the caster, but the outside tire remains fairly upright. I’m not sure though. Not something I’ve really thought about.

Great image, but at least at GoPro I’d never have that much steering input to drive the outer edge of the inside tire into the track. Not from the same angle, but here is the most steering input I could find between our two videos going into the hairpin. For nearly 100+ laps the outer edges of my front tires are nearly untouched.

For an very brief moment you may be taxing the outer edge, but the inside tire should be seeing much more lateral load as the weight is transferred to the outside front tire. Inside tire while aiding in some grip is mostly there to create the jacking effect.

So with a worn cambered tire you may get more contact patch on the outside tire. Could improve handling could make it worse depending on front end grip I suppose. At least on the Compkart static baseline, the camber is set really neutral, but I’m not sure what the dynamic camber is. It would be pretty hard to make a comparison to an equally worn/aged set of square profile to a cambered set. There are probably tens of factors that would be in play.

Anyways I’m just thinking out loud on the concept and bouncing ideas off of people, but perhaps while extending life you are degrading performance by rotating?

I am not an expert on MG Reds, but I believe the new MG Reds require quite a bit of pressure - 12 psi when there is lots of grip and 16 psi when there is not much grip or rubber on the track. I put the ranges published by MG on my website here. Talk to Tim Shutt, he will get you and your Compkart sorted. He knows his stuff.

Pressure rise cold to hot – I see +3 psi with AMV wheels and closer to +4 psi with Freeline wheels. Here is a test that I did with John Bonanno, the Compkart dealer in NJ. John is a very good driver.

Actually bought my kart from Tim. I’ve bugged him plenty on setup questions already. I just like reaching out to the community on input as well. Thanks for the data I’ll give it a read.

1 Like

What hubs do you have on the rear? You can’t see them from the photos which is usual. Typically you run a 95mm hub on a Compkart which you would see in these photos – is your chassis a Covert 3.0? Does Tim have you on short hubs to try and find more grip? I assume the black that is visible is tape.

It’s a 19 Covert. Haven’t measure the hubs for length. Tim set me up for Compkarts baseline setup. It’s probably just the perspective, but the hubs do extend pass the backside of the wheel. The black tape is just electrical tape to help hold in the keyway.

1 Like

Hello curious if anyone can help me out. 15 psi, all other tires are wearing evenly except the front left. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda hard to tell in the pic but that tire looks like it has about half a lap on it.

1 Like

Double check the caster/camber. Can’t tell the brand from the images but if it uses eccentrics make sure one on the top or bottom has spun on you. Looks like your running lots of negative camber.

1 Like

Need some background. Looks like the driver did half a lap at slow speed and came in, tire isn’t even scrubbed in yet. Can we see the other tires?

1 Like

This is on my LT Front. After a day at United Karting in Baltimore. Counter clockwise track. Looks like hard inner wear. I’ve seen the rental karts with this same wear pattern. Just seeing what causes this?

Is it pushing/under steering badly or feel bound up on exit? It has a lot to camber burn for sure, but if it’s handling well it might be best to leave it.

James, to his point, rental tires that aren’t replaced frequently end up coned (just like skateboard wheels).

Is that the natural shape of the rubber after many sessions (coned) or should they not end up that way? No matter what, the rubber will always migrate to the inside on soft tires, but you don’t see this on harder stuff, just the coning.

I guess the question is, “What should proper tire wear look like?” (Hard tires)

The track he’s at is a funny one with more or less constant turning and no straights, if that makes a diff.

On a softer tire (which that looks like), that’s fairly normal to have more extreme inner shoulder wear. All karts wear the inside edge a bit harder due to the front geometry and the flex of the frame.

Slight waves on the surface of the tire indicates a little understeer but not awful.

Huehehe…

@tjkoyen can you help explain why my kart drives funny?