TPMS in karting

I did a search, but could find any information.

My question is. Did any of you guys experiment with TPMS to see what the tire pressure and temperatures are during the actual racing instead of checking after coming back to the pits? If so, what do you think about the sensors.

AIM (Mychron) makes a system. Saw it demonstrated at PRI a few years ago, but have never seen it used on track.

I’m assuming cost prohibitive for 99% of us.

I’m aware of the AIM tire temperature sensor. However this one measure only the outside temperature of the rubber. A TPMS measures the inside temperature, which IMO would be more accurate and also measures the tire pressure. Hence my question. The only problem would be sync it up with the MyChron data, but that would not be a must.

Seeing as how it’s a sensor that attaches to stem, you’d think it would be easy.

Fair enough. I’ll go Devil’s advocate here… What question are you trying to answer with this data that cant be answered today? Maybe there isn’t a need?

While you certainly can measure the outside temperature real time with the AIM expansion pack, you cannot measure the tire pressure real time. I have been following the aim-sports youtube webinars and was wondering if some of the measures they take for race cars can be applied to karting. TPMS is such an example.

What would you do with that information? Dry air is very close to an ideal gas, so if you want a smaller pressure rise with the same temperature increase you’ll want some weird refrigerant gas that starts condensing at the pressures that you’re running at*, and if you want larger you’ll have to add a measured volume of water and have it crank up the pressure as it evaporates.

and I mean REALLY weird, as the pressure rise would have to condense one component in the mixture even as the temperature increases by almost 100F. The P-V phase diagram would be pretty ugly; maybe some mixture of hexane, butane, and hydrogen will do it but good luck explaining a violent kart-tire fire to an annoyed tech inspector.

If all you’re looking to do is get an easy out/in tyre px figure then there are valve cap Bluetooth senders that would work for you.

If you’re looking to monitor px change throughout the session then I’d say to what end? Realistically you could maybe develop a sheet so you have an idea for a given track ok this pressure cold will give me optimum tyre px on lap x, but tyre px change and rate of change is never constant day to day or even session to session as it is affected by track conditions - rubber put down, humidity, track surface temperature and so on. I think you’d be chasing your tail. If it were beneficial it would be a thing already.

1 Like

Again, I was just curious on data analytics and was wondering whether TPMS is being usedin karting.

I found this… https://www.magickart.eu/en/kpms-race/3973-ktpms-race-karting-basic-tire-pressure-controller--3000000054734.html

The following link is a seminar of what they do with it in race cars… 1-71 Tire Temps/Pressures, Rubber Meets the Track! - Live Webinar with Matt Romanowski - 12/8/2020 - YouTube

Some of the screenshots of the presentation.

How your tire pressure increases throughout the session.

X/Y Plots of Tire pressure vs LatG

1 Like

Seems like the alarms aren’t easily adjustable. That’s the only thing that would interest me - to have an alarm light when the tyres are overworked. Would maybe make finding optimum tyre pressure a bit less hit and miss.

But high alarm set at .84 and not adjustable without unique programming? I’m normally running between .9 - 1.2 bar because of the dust.

In any case 300 bucks I doubt they’ll sell many :sweat_smile:

A couple years ago there was a forum on here where someone had a TPMS. Cant find it though, but I thought Id let you know it exists.

I always run between 12 and 14 on MG reds, they tend to not go up too much over the race. X1 was the only time I ever felt my tires overheat

Was poking around and found the AiM TPMS option: Car TPMS Sensors – AimShop.com
I also note that this place also lists a valve cap sensor option in addition to the usual stem based sensor. Im assuming that this is the system that was used to create the above graphs.

What’s the reason no one uses the Bluetooth Tom’s sensors for in/out tire pressure readings?
Has anyone tried them?
Seams like it would be so much easier to get a quick read on your phone as soon as the kart stops in the pits
My gauge was stolen, so I have to replace it with something and was thinking this could be a great solution, but I don’t know anyone who’s using them.

Do you have an example product you can share. If it can accurately report 0.25 psi it could be workable.

1 Like

Was looking at these.
Pretty cheap but looks like they read in 0.1 psi.

I think consistent results would be more important than accuracy.
can always calculate to compensate for a know discrepancy as long as that discrepancy is consistent.
I purchased a digital gauge that gave a different reading every time POS!

Bluetooth Tire Pressure Monitoring System, with 4 External Sensors TPMS, 5 Alarm Modes and Real-time Displays Pressure and Temperature, Support iOS and Android with APP Operation https://a.co/d/eZCuLPX

I believe the Alfano 7 will support a TPMS system (also sold by Alfano).

It’s not been released yet but that’s what I heard.