Track time

Hi, I’m just venturing my 8 year old in to the karting world. I’m wondering how much track time we should be aiming for weekly or monthly to gain enough experience and confidence to be in a position to enter races this time next year?
TIA

2 Likes

As much as you possibly can with your little one still having fun. If they want to go, go. If they don’t, don’t.

There are some kids at our track that are there 5 times a week. My son and I try to do one practice day a week.

8 Likes

Perfect answer.

When I started at age 11 my dad made me practice until I was quick enough to not be lapped. If I didn’t feel like practicing we didn’t go.

Having fun is the most important part of this whole thing, especially when kids are young.

7 Likes

Derek touched on a good point regarding the kid’s interest in going or not. At that age you don’t want to extinguish their interest by forcing too much track time on them. I’ve seen plenty of parents take the fun out of karting for their kids by pushing them too hard, and forgetting that sometimes they just want to do other stuff.

Additionally, quality of laps is as important as the quantity of laps. I would have a simple objective for your kid each day you’re on track. Could be as simple as keep it on the track for 10 laps, or drive until you get tired. Could be specific to improving a certain technique (braking, etc), or a particular corner on track.

Be receptive to how your kid is responding too. If they’re developing quickly, then you can start to throw more at them, and if not then just take it slow and keep it simple.

8 Likes