Trouble shoot electric shifter

Any one in north Florida or South Georgia who can help me trouble shoot the wiring on an electric shifter installed on a kz kart ?
Thanks,
Bill G
Lake City, Gl

What system do you have? Mechatron or TheLab?

The Lab…. Race version

What’s the issue? Typically, they have no issues as they don’t require a ground. What are your symptoms/problems?

In general, the best option is to contact them via email or IG, the owner Stefano @TheLabMotorsport is usually very responsive

What are the trouble symptoms?

The downshift blipper does not function at all…all new components, so I’m pretty sure it’s a wiring issue from the install crew…

There’s no blipping the throttle on a kz. You just let of the gas and downshift.

Yeah throttle blipping is going to be tricky to implement. It would be fine for practice days, but you may not be able to run the shifter system in racing. If you plan giving that a go, check with your track if you haven’t already.

This setup is for race training with my Swift 016 with paddle shift…… not bound by CiK rules on shift systems…

I know you can downshift without a blip, but my experience convinces me a blip is kinder to the engagement dogs, and helps prevent reverse loading the crank, rod, piston and pin… ymmv :blush:

Still looking for a wiring guru to help trouble shoot the wiring and install…

Regards,
Bill

Definitely kinder and certainly doesn’t hurt. Generally though the engines and gearbox are tough enough to withstand the abuse given between service intervals. The transmissions (other than the dry clutch) tend to take a lot of abuse as long as you’re not trying to flat shift it without an ignition cut.

Hopefully the vendor will chime in soon, if you have pics of your current wiring that might help speed things up.

Keep us posted, I think these systems are pretty interesting to people.

I have the earlier SS2 that’s a straight shifter, no ignition cut, adjustable shift timing, neutral finder, or throttle blip. How exactly is the throttle interfaced into this? There would have to be some kind of solenoid device (or similar) to actuate the throttle/carburetor slide.

Even more curious now.

Thanks, simple test. @WheelSpin is right, you need to move one step up.

I’ve downloaded the manual so I can reference the drawings and names. I’m referencing page 5.

Disconnect the blipper actuactor by disconnecting the “blipper C” wire. Leave everything else connected. Try to downshift. As you pull the left paddle, you should hear a click from inside the control unit. That click is the relay that powers the blipper actuator motor. Test and let us know.

Hearing or not hearing that click will determine the next step in troubleshooting

Andy,
Disconnecting the C wire to the blipper actuator still activates the gearbox downshift when pulling the left paddle… the gear change is very loud and virtually impossible for me to hear the relay in the control unit …

Am I missing something ??? My next guess is to disconnect the gearbox control rod at the actuator to avoid the noise of the gear change … thoughts ??

K if that’s too loud and can’t hear it, unplug the shifter actuator connector too…this one

Andy, since you seem to have an inside at The Lab, perhaps you can shed some light for me as to the throttle actuation method. Since the throttle cable passes by actuator box, in the case of the downshift blip functionality, is the cable somehow passed through the box & get a tug from the downshift planetary gears during cycle, or is the mechanism more elaborate?

Hi Spencer! No, it’s a separate actuator that is connected to the accelerator cable via a splitter, works independently from the gearbox actuator.

By looking at the manual you can easily see how it’s wired in.

I sit corrected on blip clearly. I got confused with the powershift systems on motorcycles that require a DBW setup. Didn’t realize this system already has the mechanical setup for blip on downshift.

Thats very cool.

Yes super cool! I think this specific system was developed for rally/formula/sport prototype type of cars, but clearly adaptable to karts too. Hard to keep up with Stefano sometimes, he has new models coming out all the time

1 Like