Trying to get my two 10yr and one 7 yr into karting/racing

EDITED

I need advice on 2x karts to get 10yr boys, going with lo206’s to start. I figure anything faster will hinder thier learning/wanting/feeler experience.

A shifter chassis with an LO206 on it will be fine. You may need to figure out how to move the pedals back and install a smaller seat, but I’d say it would be perfect for practice and OK for cadet racing if your track’s rules don’t require a cadet-size kart.

For me,I don’t think trying to get kids into karting is the right way to go. They either want to get into it or they don’t.

Try them on rentals first, if they enjoy it and want more then progress them on to race karts. My experience dealing with kids karting they’ll either want more and more almost exponentially or they’ll not be interested, there’s rarely a middle ground. If you push them into it they’ll learn to appreciate it but they won’t ever get the passion and speed that comes with that passion.

10yr old is junior class if I’m not mistaken, 7 yr old is cadets.

2 Likes

That said, I wish my dad had the means to put me in a kart when I was that age :smiley:

1 Like

… and there would have been a place to kart race

Richard,
The issue in the states with the little ones is that they really don’t have rental options. I think insurers pretty much made getting kids under 10 into rental racing impossible.

Some indoor places have “toy” kart tracks for the very small:

Here’s Sodi’s current “Baby Driver”. This lad is rotating the kart like a champ! If I ever get the opportunity to build a rental facility, I promise I will think of the children! That would be awesome having bambino rental races. I am guessing there’s a fair amount of herding them in the right direction at that age.

First step is always, “where are you located?” That helps determine what classes, shops, and kart brands are locally supported so you actually have a place to race and a place to get parts and service for your karts.

206 is an ideal starting point. It’s cheap, easy, and slow enough that you’re able to learn about driving at the proper pace. Jumping right into a 100cc kart could be quite a leap, especially for young kids.

2 Likes

I’m actually a little confused (I’m easily confused though). Not 100% sure what the question is…

Are you asking what kind of kart\engine you should ride around in with your kids, or what kart is suitable for your kids?

Maybe all of these?

Since you have the shifter yourself already, I guess you could follow the kids around with it. Problem is that they really don’t take kindly to being driven slowly.

Anyway, let us know where you’re located and we’ll point you in the right direction.

I think I get what he’s saying. Shifter is a ‘KZ ROLLER’ that usually means a rolling chassis - everything but the engine. He could stick a 206 in it or even a 100 2 Stroke and play around with the younglings all day long.

I know what you mean about rental provision for kids, but I wouldn’t be going out spending 000s on three chassis’ one for each kid without knowing I’m not wasting cash :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: there must be a workaround - couple of sessions with a kart race school for example? Least you’ll get the sense they’re gonna get bitten by it :sweat_smile:

That too :sweat_smile: we were pretty close to some proper tracks - Oulton Park, Three Sisters. Not sure Oulton had a kart track back in the 80s, 3 sisters did tho.

I’d just use that adult kart and a practice day - all he’d have to buy is a pair of seats

1 Like

James I had the same question. I read it as he wants to have 2 people in a kart. Then I read the question again. Im not sure what you are asking for advice on Sam.

Or a seat insert or two

I’m in the sf bay area, I cannot find rentals for the both 10yr boys yet alone my 7ry old girl. closest thing is one of those family theme park 2 seater with a adult driver.

looks like i’ll get a cadet lo206 for my youngest and 2x more karts with the lo206 for the boys. I dont know which brand, type of kart just yet. any input is welcome.

as for the shifter roller (for me to drive with the kids), should I get a lo206 for it also? or do i just go for a vlr or shifter? I’m worried i might get bored out of the lo206 also.

sorry for the confusing orignal post, i’ll edit it.

It depends what your goals are. If you want to develop good technique and habits, starting in a shifter would probably be a bad idea. It’s far too much kart for a newbie in most cases.

If I had a nickel for every newbie who started in shifter and immediately regretted it and dropped out of the sport completely within a year, I could afford to run a full season in shifter myself.

If you are getting a 206 anyway, you could always toss it on your kart first and see how you like it. I think you would find even a VLR/KA would be a pretty big step up from 206, so that could be a good route if you think 206 will be too slow. Plus the 100cc stuff is durable and pretty foolproof. Might kill the fun for you and your kids if you have to tinker with jetting or the plethora of other possible issues on a more complex shifter.

Me and my son started when he was 10 and then racing at 13.

We raced a powerful class right off the bat. Fun as heck but pricey and steeper learning curve. But, going any more powerful than 125 single gear would be a mistake, unless you already experienced. To put it bluntly, it will hurt too much physically (and possibly financially, which is subjective.)

Competitive 2-stroke is no joke physically even in single gear. I have broken my ribs twice and shed 70 lbs to become what this sport needs you to be, to become very fast. If that sounds like fun to you, hop on board the 125 TAG train as a newb. You’ve got a mountain to climb, if you are willing to suffer somewhat.

Stepping down the rung is 100CC. This is the sane place to start two stroke. This is where Nick and I learned the basics of Karting at Jim Hall in Oxnard. These are real, high-revving two strokes, capable of 65mph. They are 85-90% of what I raced in 125 for 1/3 the cost overall (maint,price,etc).
They are also approachable physically for the average adult. They will break you at first, if you have been inactive. But not so much that you can’t catch up quickly.

From here we go to 4-stroke. The value of 4-stroke is two-fold: it is economical and it teaches you how to drive properly from the get-go…

Money first. Dirt cheap. A new fancy lo206 is about 800 bucks. It does not require expensive maintenance. This is HUGE. Motorsport commonly requires money be fed to it. Virtually eliminating engine rebuilds and the like is a massive deal, budget-wise. Also, tires. It uses alot less rubber, which is your #2 major expense.

Driving wise, 4-stroke is a momentum based style of driving that seeks to be fluid and efficient. Because you do not have the ability to accelerate spiritedly, you learn to keep what speed you have acquired.

So, basically:

Got money to burn? Looking to have fun? Two-stroke. If you are fit and healthy, 125 TAG is OK to start. But 100cc makes more sense.

On a budget? Not sure if you wanna do this long term? Looking to have fun and don’t feel the need to have your face peeled off by the wind?
(or alternatively)
Serious about learning motorsport? Secretly yearn to win races and become master of the universe? Start in 4-stroke and learn how to really drive from the get go. Its sorta boring and complicated to explain why, but trust me, its true. And, by the way, a 4-stroke will still feel fast and you will have fun. Its a race kart and if you use it right, it is so satisfying.

Either way, you cant go wrong, fun wise. One is just a lot more expensive.

2 Likes

You sound like you are thinking like I did…If the kids are doing it, so am I! Keep in mind, to keep 3 karts running, regardless of the class, is going to be a huge task. Hopefully you will have some assistance at the track.

I would have to pretty much agree with Dom. My only point that you have to consider is what the track you will be running at supports. If there is no KA/VLR then sticking with a 4 stroke is likely your best choice, again, if its supported. I have seen more people humbled by TAG 125. It’s not really a starting point but a class to aspire too.

If they aren’t committed, I would go the other way: If your kids are average size, you could get a kid kart (gx50) which all three can drive at a practice session. They are fairly easy to find since kids age out of them quickly, and fast enough to get a taste of karting. If they continue to show interest, you can get a lo206 cadet for the bigger ones to race, which I think lasts until they’re 16. And the youngest can still use it to race.

I don’t think trying to fit them into an adult kart is a good idea.

1 Like

I’ll look into the kid kart, I was only going by the local age group / class which all 3 would fall under cadet.

looks like it’ll be all the karts would be lo206’s , hopefully we all can advance from it.

1 Like