Vega red (VLH) tires

I think TJ once said that slow long arcs heat up the tire better than the frantic scrubbing you see typically.

1 Like

Yes, MG themselves told me to build core heat you make big long arcs because it puts the tire into a high force flexing state for long periods of time. Quick aggressive scrubs just flash heat the surface of the tire.

2 Likes

What is the consensus on the useful life of the Vega Red for practice and testing?

Very dependent on your track, unfortunately. At Jacksonville, I wouldnt even attempt a practice day unless I had new tires. At Whiteland or Charlotte, you got grip for 10-15 cycles at least.

Interesting, I did two practice days at Jax in February and put 140 laps on an already used set of Vegas and kept finding time, but that is probably down to just learning the track since it was my first time there. I bolted on a newer set and only found about a tenth or so.

I raced at round 1 of the club series in the wet, but my Vega wets already had two full races on them. I didn’t realize that the wets have such a short usable life, until I got out there and could barely keep the thing on the track!

1 Like

Yeah the wets don’t last very long. Like Derek said it depends on the track but I’ve had pretty good speed on tires that have at least two or three full days (approx 4-5 sessions each day)

1 Like

“newer” or “new”? Because thats probably why you only found a tenth.

They were newer, not brand new.

1 Like

On the topic of pressures (unrelated to the Vega VLH), I have some pretty wild feedback in terms of what is used with the new Maxxis tires that have been introduced as single supply in both Junior and OK for the 2024-2026 FIA Karting seasons.

Teams have found the Maxxis Prime (the one used in OK) to be the best at 0.35 BAR of pressure, which is 5 PSI. Ballpark with Vega and MG in the past was around 0.48 BAR at the lowest, but i’ve never heard of going down this much and i found it quite shocking :sweat_smile:. Caveat being that Valencia (the first track on the calendar) is very demanding on tires, especially the rear left, and quite abrasive as well.

2 Likes