(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Dom, pretty observant. At 3:07, you’re saying that I’m late on the throttle.
In a couple of weeks I’ll have a chance to work on it. There is a faster way through the T1 and T2 complex, I did it once butt so far haven’t been able to repear.

I’m not sure which is why I called upon @speedcraft
It could be that it makes sense in this series of turns. Just a visual observation.

@Bimodal_Rocket & @OldFartKarter The turn 1,2 & 3 complex looks pretty good to me as is. I’m not sure how much actual lap time benefit there would be to getting on throttle earlier for T1… I worry that it may have a slight adverse impact on T2, which is a more important turn to accelerate out of well.

If I were going to try something different, I might try braking just a skosh later for T1 (so I arrive at the turn-in point with just a bit more speed/energy), and then I would semi-agressively trail brake the turn-in (aka very slightly back the kart in). This would lengthen the fast end of the straight (where speed is most easily made), and it would take care of much of the rotation needed to negotiate T1 well before I get to the apex, which would both allow for earlier throttle application, and a more advantages approach angle to T2.

Of course, this is just an idea, which may not work at all; or maybe it would work but might punish the LR tire too much to be practical.

Anyway, Good Luck

2 Likes

Thanks Don for conjuring up the speedcraft racing spirit.

It’s somewhat a wonder that the KP arm chair coaches are so perceptive. This is something I’ve been working on but not sure it’s faster (using data) but it feels faster. I normally progressively release the brake entering the turn but here I’ve experimented with a gentle stab mid corner to rotate the rear. Being an OFK, this is not easy. Easier on old tires than on new. The data shows there is time in T1, T2.

2 Likes

I’m thinking (and it may be wrong), instead of a stab of brake mid-corner for rotation, what if you turned-in with full braking from the main speed-adjustment phase of the turn still on, and then immediately started trailing the brake and steering to control the rotation (instead of trailing the brake at the same time as you start the turn-in). So essentially a light version of the Scandinavian flick, where the brake induced rotation happens very early in the corner (aka at, or just after turn-in), but maybe shoot for something like 5-7 degrees of rotation instead of really cranking it in there.

Anyway, just a thought

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Driver Report from Mariembourg

Made a quick little video on my basic surface-level routine of kart cleaning and prep.

1 Like

Are those floor pans as decoration? Reminds me of skate decks on the wall.

1 Like

So I just saw something crazy (timecode : 6:25:21). A Sodi 2 seater, 2x250cc SwissAuto engines capable of outputting 70hp (35hp each, but probably set at 18hp each which is the lowest setting IIRC)

That thing is RAPID. Sign me up, I’d love to scare some customers with that :smiley:

1 Like

That looks awesome!!! The Honda 2 seat Indycar of karting!

This looks amazing for Team Baguette. You drive and I’ll handle making us jambon and Camembert sandwiches on the fly. Try to keep it from stepping out otherwise I’ll spill the grey poupon.

Idube Fresh baked rolls

Kartist: Eugene Brittz

I’m a sucker for Idube, so I thought I’d cross post this which was in my suggested this am. Recent DD2 footage.

The downhill bit seems insanely cool and this is a bucket list track, imho.

Dd2 is probably a PITA with its odd axle/drive system but two gears seems better than 1 and it seems to be the weapon of choice out there in SA. I’d love to drive one, someday.

The only time I’ve seen it in action here is when Bonanno was practicing for Rotax Worlds.

1 Like

Really makes me wish DD2 was more popular here. Just hard to justify purchasing a frame that is only ever going to be used with DD2. Curious to see what our turnout is for the Rotax US Finals coming up in October.

Piled in with the Senior class, instead of Masters, this race. Lots of fun. I was living up to my forum name in this one.

Solid effort. Nice 7th!

1 Like

@E13

I never did get around to following up…

What was your impression of the endurance race we competed in at Club Motorsport?

Have you done any enduros before?

What did you like and what did you wish was different?

Had a ton of fun, almost wish it was longer. I was surprised on how much that track beats you up after a good 30min. It was run well, competitive, and clean (ish) racing. cough #23 cough
I didn’t find myself in any battles though, I was either much quicker than the karts ahead or not quick enough to put up a fight with the top drivers. Kinda in no man’s land. Woulda liked a bigger track, more people, and more time.
That was the longest I’ve ever been in a kart, my longest race was 20-25 minutes, and my longest practice was around 20 minutes as well.
I was surprised on how easy it was for me to lose focus though, it started to feel like I was just riding along. I thought those laps would be really slow but they were actually not too bad.
Would do again

2 Likes

Young man builds a kart.

In case you’ve lost perspective, here’s a fellow making a muck-about gokart just because. To be clear: he fabricated the whole thing, makes the chassis from tubing. He also designed and fabricated most parts, as well. He bought wheelbarrow wheels as he was on a tight budget.

1 Like

Ok so… if you’d like, you can do the 6 hr NJMP race with me in aug. 3 hours seat time. I have already paid most of it. If you want, I’ll give you the seat for 250. It’s august in NJ, and I am 52. 6hrs in that heat might be a really bad idea for an older guy. LMK.

Club Motorsport was a smaller turnout for @Chris_McCoy series. In all the other ones we have done, it was around 25 karts on track at same time. I think we were 18 or so teams in NH. I suspect NJMP will be fully subscribed. Battles for days, I should think.

It is a learned thing and you would adapt with experience.