(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Here’s another video. This was the 2nd round of the Texas Sprint Race Series at North Texas Karters. It’s the final of the KA100 Sr. class, which had 39 entries, 37 of which started the final. All karts made it through the first lap without incident. We were taking bets on how many karts would go off in turn 1.

That’s a LOT of karts!

Definitely for a regional race. They had it split into 2 groups until the final.

I was thinking the same thing. I have no experience beyond my a few of my local tracks but have watched videos where the field size seems excessive, such as this. The track also doesn’t seem huge either which further crowds the track. Do these larger events ever have separated mains like they do in circle track racing? In this case it would seem appropriate to have at least an A and B main that splits the field in half. Maybe the top 3 can bump to the A. Or is this a case of the European influence?

I don’t think the series was exactly ready for this large of a field. They had the group split into 2 groups until the final, and then the final they put everyone together. They wanted to give everyone the chance to race for the same points. I lobbied for an A and a B Final, but they wanted all on track for the final and just black flagged the lapped karts. However, only 2 karts that started outside the top 20 finished in the top 20, and almost half of the field was black flagged. The other option that they didn’t want to do because they didn’t want to spring it onto people was doing an LCQ like other series do.
Another thing that helped have half of the field get black flagged, they ran a timed final, not a set number of laps. They ran a 20 minute +1 lap final (like supercross), which led to the leaders doing over 30 laps in the final, when it has normally been 20 laps. They went to timed heats and final so they don’t have to determine the number of laps at different tracks, or for different conditions.

1 Like

OMG… Jim McKay. I’m a kid again watching Indycars or Formula One or ski jumping… on Wide World of Sports.

1 Like

The sunset, the banked turn, the way the track looks like it’s been dipped in molten rubber… this makes me want to kart, badly. Looks like a memorable session.

What went down at start? 98 create confusion?

At around 45s, after you pass 98, it seems the field has sorted itself and you can go about the business of getting to front. 1:45 solves the slowness issue of #145. Your pace appears to be stronger than the leader as well.

I’ll finish the race later but so far, so lovey.

you must have the gopro here 27 black platinum diamond edition because the video makes that place look table top smooth. My elbow still hurts every time I see whiteland video, every lap in the KA last year I’d jump that back section and then slam my elbow on the head of the engine entering the banked turn leaving the most massive bruse I’ve ever had in my life. Good times though and great track, just coming back with an elbow pad next time!

p.s. nice driving !

1 Like

There’s A (one) smooth line back there.

Not sure what went down on the start, but I had to be easy the first lap or two. First race in the '16 Eagle I found and put together with spare parts and it’s not entirely balanced yet. I spend the first two laps with a bad understeer.

1 Like

Great driving Matthew.

Did the resurface of whiteland smooth it out? Or did they slap fresh pavement over the old bumps?

They cut out the bad stuff, replaced it, and sealed the whole thing.

My latest race at canaan motorclub. The person who spun out here also spun out twice in the pre-final. I dont take the racing line into the turn that goes into the infield because its so easy to pass someone if they take it. My best lap time was a 42.7. last year it was a 42.3 yet I feel like I improved. fastest in my class was a 41.8. I lose time in turn 2 but I dont know how or where else.

You’re too wide at apex in turn 2 and overdriving the final tight left-hander a bit I think. You are at or slightly past apex when you get back to throttle. Back that one up a couple feet and try to roll back into throttle before you get to the inside curb and I think it will be better. That corner is important because it leads onto a looooong period of wide-open throttle. You hit it better a couple times (around 11:00) and it seems to be quicker.

Thanks! cant reall figure out how much to go onto the kerb. I think 1 tire width is just enough. Im still working on staying on throttle when Im catching people, as sometimes im too timid and let off because I think im going to hit them mid corner

Oh, I forgot to mention, I missed turn 2 apex twice because there was someone on the inside of me, but I do miss it by myself a couple times also

heres last year when I ran a 42.3 on lap 8. I look slower but my times were faster. confused.

How does pace vary so much? After your spin, it seems like you have an extra gear that allows you to catch back up to the front 4. Also, folks seem to get bursts of speed relative to each other. Where’s these burst of speed from?

I used my overtake button and boost. For real though, I finished 10th actually, these guys were either new or slow making it easy to catch up. Honestly I have no idea how people would suddenly speed up. Do you have a specific instance you’re talking about? I was still .9 slower than 1st which sucks.