(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

it was my first time there and i absolutely loved definitely in my top 3 favorite tracks.

I raced Rotax Nationals on the newly replaced Charlotte track last year. It was my first outdoor track I ever drove back in 2010. The memories of how bumpy it was are vivid, including that one before the start finish that TJ mentioned. But now it is silky smooth and generates lots of grip. Itā€™s amazing how flowey it is and finding a rhythm on this track is very rewarding. Hope to be able to race again there soon.

2 Likes

It was definitely one of my favorite tracks we used to go to. Very flowing and fun. I think '08 was the last time I was there.

2 Likes

I went to OVRP to test/tune with Daniel (works at OVRP). We moved some stuff around a bit and the kart felt better to me. Itā€™s still a bit squirrelly, but thatā€™s probably driver, mostly.

These are starting to look like laps. I am adjusting to the need to take the corner entry differently. Thereā€™s less front end, so you need to be a lot more careful about turn in and throttle out.

Daniel was trying to get me to release brake a bit earlier and turn in a bit earlier, in general. Thereā€™s a couple corners that I need to figure out, such as corkscrew and chicane.

Corkscrew you can see me trying to get kart around properly so I can point down straight and avoid the outside kerbing. I do it correctly on the last lap of the video.

The chicane requires an earlier turn in. And earlier brake release. Sorta lift, huck it in, profit. I go wide a few times here as I attempt that but mostly revert to habit.

I think there is a possibility I can figure this out. It seems that you have to back it up, in general, with LO. Corner entry cannot be rushed or you will be wide.

Anyways, glad to hear any thotts from others.

Lo206 doesnā€™t feel slow when you are driving. The engine makes happy noises and is responsive. It feels fine. Itā€™s not until the 10 year old in the cadet kart passes you, that you realize how slow it is. That, and bouncing off the limiter for 5 seconds on straight. :joy:

I donā€™t know what to make of the :open_mouth: James. That bad huh? :cry:

1 Like

Nah I just couldnā€™t find the :joy:

I agree, the 206 is slow on the straightsā€¦ but it still hauls a$$ around the turns like a kart should and you can just pull the cord and go.

You get lots of time to plan your lines and so on. Vs in a shifter I always feel like Iā€™m ā€œdriving on the noseā€. Which is fun donā€™t get me wrong.

It really is more of a driving on the tail thing isnā€™t it? The nose is what you need to worry about. It does not seem that back end grip or oversteer is much of an issue.

The lawnmower start feels correct. As it should be. It is fun trying to pull start while sitting. Challenging.

hereā€™s a decant prefinal from Saturday at go pro finished in in p4 out of 21 drivers with the 2nd fastest lap which was a 51.2

Hereā€™s a couple clips from our 6 hr race at OVRP on Saturday. We got great weather and had a terrific race! 3rd in class, 6th overall.

Nick drove very nicely considering he gets in a kart maybe 3 times a year now. I guess karting is like riding a bike, he says.

I felt much more comfortable in my trusty rental karts and drove fine. I was about .5 off the fastest at my best, which I am content with. I felt like me out there, again.

@tankyx and Matt were on fastest pace, Tanguy especially. Mr. Consistency. When the rain started falling, his childhood of karting in Brittany paid off and he was dominant while the track was slippery.

The OVRP Gang of Tim, Daniel, @jd896, and ? won overall and ran very nice laps. They also were very fashionable in matching suits!

There was a group of masters guys that were very quick as well who took second overall. Did not catch their names but the were fast with no drama.

Team 88 ended up providing much of my amusement as they were quick and aggressive and always ready to play hide the bumper.

We got a new Tri-State member out there as well, Grant, and he rocked. I also got to battle with some of the tri-state guys along the way.

Really good race and we will try to be back again in July for round 2. Tanguy is thinking of mounting an assault on P1 for July. He has another buddy at Manhattan Classic Car Club who is fast like Matt. I will have to back out of team cos I canā€™t split with Nick, obvs. Maybe I will try to gather some of the newer guys and go have some fun.

Oh, Tanguy rented a margay lo206 like I got and ran the club race next day. He won with fastest lap .5 faster whilst 20lbs overweight. He described the kart as requiring early gentle turn in but with early throttle to rotate kart. Says it wonā€™t turn well otherwise. ā€œYou cannot carry any speed with it because it wonā€™t allow for yaw angle on the brakes/free wheelā€. Looks like I have work to do.

Halfway through my observation is that you are a much more precise driver than the older footage at AMP. You are getting down to your apexes much better! All this racing is doing you a ton of good. More thoughts to come.

Looked really good, Oliver. I am jelly of the racing at gopro. I like how you put pressure on that guy and got him out of his comfort zone. I saw you twice have an opportunity into the big round turn, but neither worked. What could you have done differently there?

2 Likes

I had a chance at the outside but i was getting flashbacks from the day before where in the duble rights after the hairpin i got involved in a big shunt and flew out of the kart so i didnt feel like doing that again but i feel if i was more aggressive i culd definitely be 2nd.

''Twas a good finish then. :checkered_flag:

1 Like

If old stuff counts, I still have my GoPro2 footage from my first Road Race on Oregon Raceway back when they opened up.

Hopefully this year I might have something since Iā€™m getting back into this. [And for what itā€™s worth, Kart #2 was my competition and I did beat him in the end, but I only placed second in the class. I have no idea where first place is for my group; he was some kind of otherworldly]

1 Like

Yup. Any racing footage is good footage. No freshness requirements here, just desire to be seen/critiqued. And, no obligation to be critiqued if not wanted.
We have some experienced guys that can answer the thornier questions.

1 Like

hereā€™s the final we had a problem with a rear wheel so i lost a ton of ground

any more endurance races this season? Iā€™d love to do one. How much do they cost in general?

Yes! The procup race is coming back in July to OVRP. I am hopeful I can do it again. Here is their site and schedule. They run 6-24 hrs around country.

I would love someday to do a long one at New Castle since itā€™s karting Mecca. They did a 24 hr there last year.

Itā€™s pretty reasonable. The 6 hr is 375 a head for a team of 4. Considering the event and seat time, Iā€™d say itā€™s well worth the $.

Thats a really good price! Iā€™ll check it out. Maybe ill have to make a teamā€¦

Thatā€™s a sweet looking road course, and freshly laid! The uphill left is really dramatic. It is rolling for want of a better description. Looks fast as heck. The downhill section into the left looks like itā€™s probably steep IRL. Banked left into banked right, while undulating down and then up. Is amazing.

I guess itā€™s all natural contours of the land. Really excellent tack location choice. This place flows really nicely and is pretty to boot.

Question: does drafting behind the lay downs feel different than drafting behind a sprint kart? Is the lower lay down less effective at creating a tow for the sprint kart behind it than a normal kart?

Nice pass at 4:56. It seems like there is a lot of room to choose lines on road courses. He sets up for the turn and you go under him with lots of room to spare.

So as not to pollute Mr. Hallā€™s project thread about his Electric Build project, Iā€™ll post this here. Recent Rotax video of their electric kart.

I find the noise (or lack thereof) mesmerizing. The kart seems very powerful.

1 Like