What are you towing your race trailer with

My two issues with Ram, is the resale value and THIN sheet metal. Other than that, I’ve found them to be the funnest and most confortable trucks to drive. The GM trucks cheap/ cost cutting plastic interiors bug me. My problem is I can pick apart something out of all the new trucks, I’m just not overall impressed by the quality vs. price tag.

Ford is the only brand I absolutely 110% refuse to own.

As for electric, I’m not agaist them, but I’m not for them either. I’m on the fence and I’d need to see some long term ownership reviews before I felt comfortable with them.

My rules for car ownership are set in stone and predictable. I only buy German cars and GM trucks. The only exceptions to this were 2 short lived college cars, one of which I purchased for $25.

I don’t critically shop trucks, I pick whichever GM powertrain I want and get something. They are all junk but junk I’ve become familiar with. I’ll own this thing for 10 years, it will be rusted to hell and used up in that timeline then I’ll dump it and do it again.

My Cadillac CTS Sportwagon was the most poorly built vehicle I’ve owned, so I’m sworn off GM for a while.

A diesel cargo van would be a cool option too. I was looking for one for a while, either the Ford E-series or Chevy Express.

2 Likes

I’m running on a shoestring budget. No fancy enclosed trailer for me, as I don’t have a big truck. Just my Chevy Bolt EV. Tows the small 5x8 trailer just fine, tho.

4 Likes

Our setup at the track. 6x12 trailer pulled by a 2002 Honda CRV with a 5 speed manual transmission.

One thing I’m realizing is that I am either bringing way to much stuff to the track or you all are much more efficient with your packing.

1 Like

The kids (son and daughter) raced quarter midgets before my son and I got the karts. Cars, generator, compressor, tools, canopy etc. would all fit in the trailer exactly one way. We got good at packing!

Here is a sitrep of whats in my trailer:

• Double Stacker Kart Stand
  • Mechanics Tool Box
  • Tire Changer
  • Pop Tent
  • 4 foot table
  • Tools
  • Spare Parts
  • Portable Generator
  • Portable Pancake Air Compressor
  • Industrial/ Portable Fan
  • Lawn Chairs
  • Spare Kart Stand
  • Excuses as to why I didn’t podium (again)

These are the big ones!

IMG_1381

3 Likes

We’re pulling an 8.5x16 enclosed v-nose trailer with a Ford Raptor. Typically carry two karts (but can definitely hold more) plus gear. We’ve got the following basics that come to every race.

• 10’x10’ Canopy
  • 3500W Generator
  • Two Rolling/Stacking Toolboxes
  • Electric Kart Stand
  • Stacker Stand
  • Tire Bags (Extra Tires/Rains)
  • Camp Chairs
  • Fuel Jug
  • Tire Changer
  • Air Compressor
  • Heater (Winter Racing)
  • Dog Accessories
  • Spares Box (Gears, Hubs, Fasteners, Spacers, etc.)

Sometimes we will bring along other creature comforts depending on whether it is a single day race or weekend.

3 Likes