What chassis size for my 10 year old

Looking at getting my 10 ( going on 11) year old into Karting. Having trouble figuring out what size.

She is in the 99% for height and weight, so she is 5’1", 100ish lbs. I know a Junior chassis would be best, but I can’t find any locally. Wondering if she would be able to use a cadet at least for a year just to try it out. The cadet could be handed down to her twin ( who is much smaller) if she shows any interest.

Not looking to really be competitive, just looking to have her build confidence, make friends, and see how she does

That’s a tough one because 11-12yo is usually the cut between cadet/sportsman classes and junior classes. For junior classes, you will need a full size adult kart.

What club are you planning on racing with? What do their rules say about class ages.

Want to race with Tulsa Kart CLub,

They Have a junior 1 LO206 - Cadet or junior chassis 240 lbs, 8-14
Junior 2 is full size 12-15 285 lbs

So she could stay in a cadet till 14 if she fits, but cant run a full size ( they said I could but would not be competitive in junior 1) until she is 12.

Dont mine swapping carts as I plan to run used until she settles into a size for awhile

Junior and Senior Chassis are the same, Just FYI.

1 Like

The club just mentioned a Birel chassis that is popular that was between a cadet and fullsize.

@CrocIndy

Any ideas, as far as I know all Junior and Senior chassis are the same.

1 Like

For my kid, we just went on a nice Saturday and asked around. Someone there let her sit in their kid’s kart, and we are able to judge sizing from there. That being said, these things are very configurable, and pedals and steering wheel placement are adjustable. The seats are sized to the driver, too, so you probably will be looking more for potential fit than actual fit. It sounds like a Cadet would get you a few years since the club said you can run it in Junior and you said you don’t mind being uncompetitive.

They used to make a 1010 wheelbase in between chassis. It may have been an adjustable wheelbase when that went from like 990 to 1010? Don’t worry about it. If he’s going to spend a year or two in cadet, buy a cadet. If he’s going to move up to Junior quickly, get a full size chassis.

You could go full-size chassis for the Junior class for your first daughter, then get a pedal-box for it, to bring the pedals in for her smaller sister. That way the second daughter has a chassis to grow into, and the first one will already be used to a full-size chassis when she moves into Senior.