What did you do to your kart today?

Rubberized you say? Someone must make replacement gopro max lens mod covers on Etsy.

Think of it like an in between of rubber and plastic. It took a decent amount of effort to flex it for this picture. The goal is to allow it to stretch over the caster pill but firm enough to hold retention with the tabs, while not being brittle.

2 Likes

Who needs sixth gear anyway?

Actual question never having driven one… do you end up in 6th?

I know that in iracing, for example, there are some cars where the top gear is kinda avoided.

Going to depend on the track as well as the final ratios. You want to be able to keep it in the poweband at all times, so set up the final gearing accordingly. The box ratios are fixed.

1 Like

It’s the least used of the gears, but it is certainly used every lap. Final drive ratio (axle sprockets, and drive sprocket) will be changed out to tune shift points and ensure the gearbox can be used efficiently in relation to the track layout, driver preferences, etc.

1 Like

Damn! How much other damage did that cause?

Surprisingly little, we caught it early. Both primary and secondary shaft sixth gear is destroyed, secondary shaft first gear is done, and the 3rd/4th combination is damaged as well.

Don’t know the cause of the failure yet, but it appears to be a weird fluke, possibly from a material defect. In communication with the manufacturer on it, it’s getting shipped back to italy for inspection and they agreed to work with me on replacement of all the damaged bits.

2 Likes

Those cars probably don’t have adjustable final drive ratio though?

Least used (or selected) gears in a shifter tend to be 1,2 and 3.

I honestly don’t know. I am pretty sure racing has very detailed modding but I am not savvy in that regard. I can say that 6th gear annoys me on the mp2000 on medium sized ovals. Do I really need a gear to crawl from 148mph to 155 over a 1/4 lap? /rant off

Interesting. If I’m reading correctly it’s not just least time spent in the gear, but also that 1-3 are used or chosen less frequently than 4-6.

Maybe it’s just the tracks I frequent, but for me 3rd is a highly used gear. Most corners I’m in 3rd except for tighter 180s where I drop to 2nd.

1 Like

Our first sessions on KA100 today!! Also got to use the OMP gloves and socks that were part of Christmas!

5 Likes

love it !! go go go !!!

Holiday laps = best laps

I have seen these in various forms but why would someone want these covers?

Could it be like a Norberg covering the caster pills for video purposes?

I finally got around to actually mounting the Bodywork on the new kart. I also spent alot of time trying to find where I put the rear bearings but they are still lost in the garage from when we had hidden all the Christmas presents for kids out there. So that is the next thing I need to accomplish!

3 Likes

To hide your caster setup.

3 Likes

Mounted some tires so I can put the new kart on the ground, mount the seat and get comfortable. Off to get checked on the table soon as well.

1 Like

Found them! Time for a rebuild!