Espresso and water but not mixed together.
In England I always had copious amounts of bacon butties/sarnies/baps (sandwiches). But this side of the Atlantic can’t get bacon right.
But generally speaking i don’t eat much, I’ll nibble at some pasta or fruit. Nothing too heavy because I don’t want to fall asleep (getting old you know). And I won’t eat too close to race.
This is an excerpt from a soccer nutrition advisory:
“It is recommended that players eat 2-3 hours prior to games and
exercising. Studies have shown that when there is food in the stomach, the heart
pumps large volumes of blood to the stomach to aid in digestion. When an
athlete goes into a game or practice with food in their stomach, the heart will
shunt the blood to the working muscles thereby stopping the digestive process.
This can cause stomach gas and cramping. Ouch! You don’t want this to
happen, so stick to your diet and follow these rules!”
For on the day they recommend:
- Bagels, raisin bran, oatmeal, bran muffin, breads (all varieties), yogurt, toast (2-3 slices) baked beans.
- Apple, orange, fruit, and vegetable juice; water, milk
- Fruit bars, Fig Newton’s, fruit (fresh or dried), raisins, banana
LUNCH (DURING COMPETITION)
- Sandwich (2oz lean meat, fish or poultry), cup of stock soup, bagels, (2-3 slices)
- Apple, orange, fruit, and vegetable juice; water, milk shake, milk
- Fruit bars, Fig Newton’s, fruit (fresh or dried), raisins, banana, apple, cheese and crackers, pretzels, and saltines
- Pasta, potatoes, vegetables, grains, fruits
DON’T FORGET THE FLUIDS!
- Nutrition for the Athlete, by J. Anderson and L. Young (Colorado State University Cooperative Extension foods and nutrition specialist and professor; and L. Young, M.S., former graduate student, food science and human nutrition 12/96
- Soccer: Soccer Nutrition and Mental Focus
Other Nutritional Resources:
I generally find that karters (me included) don’t eat correctly, even in big teams. The Italians are more on top of this then we are having catering companies bringing very specific dishes.