What Motorsports do you follow? (2021)

Next year maybe… This year it’s still just at COTA in Austin TX.

Thought I saw a commercial for this year in Miami, maybe I’m mistaken?

Watch racing, period, my wife is in a state of constant surprise that there is some form or motor sports on.
Added some SCCA FE2 Racing as wall.

1 Like

At least currently, it’s not on their published schedule:

Maybe this is what I saw?

I can’t watch NASCAR. I call it hillbilly racing., and not a fan of any racing on ovals except motorcycle speedway. I have been watching F1 since 1964 at age 6, my dad was a fan of F1. I also watch GT/Prototype, F2, and Formula E. Observed Trials and MotoGP. I can’t watch motocross since they went to 4 strokes. I also like some drag racing.

Moving forward I am definately enjoying Indy Car more than F1 and Nascar. As a new fan of motorsport, here are a couple of takeways I’ve noticed about F1:

1. The over the top build up to the F1 races I find a bit annoying/ long winded
  2. Any idea why there are no American’s driving in F1? (has their ever been)
  3. The announcers who call the races remind me of the folks who work Mexican Soccor. They are very animated and loud (which is kinda funny but is entertaining).

There’s been a few Americans over the years. A guy called Mario Andretti won a few races. Oh and a World Championship. Probably one of the greatest all around drivers of all time.

Technically he is Italian but he came over to America when he was young and always identified as American, and raced on an American license.

Phil Hill was another American World Champion in the 60s.

There hasn’t always been a huge American contingent because F1 is Euro-centric and it’s harder for Americans to make the move and get big enough budgets to run through the European ladder system. Alexander Rossi would be the most recent American driver who actually started a race. He drove a few races for the lowly Manor team several years ago and now is a top-tier contender in IndyCar.

I actually find the pre-race for F1 the best of any racing. I tune in 15-30 min before race start. Indy always says they start at a certain time and then there’s like an hour of pre-race BS.

Right now it’s really hard to beat IndyCar in terms of pure hard competitive racing. Though F1 is enjoying a pretty spicy season that will probably go down as a classic, especially after today’s squabble in Monza. Seeing a real intense title battle like we’ve seen in decades past. Wild race this morning.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Mario Andretti but I always assumed he was an Italian from Italy. Didn’t realize he was American. Like I said I’m following motorsport for the first time this year, so everything is new to me.

Todays F1 was entertaining for sure. Daniel Ricardo is the only F1 driver I recognize, as I’ve seen some of his comedic stuff on YT. Not to say I neccessarily root for anyone in F1 yet.

I watch all MOTO GP/2/3 and World Superbike races + Indy cars, and F1… mostly on fast forward.

Next time you think you’re a bad ass at vehicle control and slip angle management, consider this…

:wink:

2 Likes

Watch “Hitting the Apex” if you haven’t already.

Thanks Shane, I have seen that.
Another good one is “The Unrideables”. It’s about how brutal the 500cc GP bikes were, and how quickly they could bite you. Almost 200 HP, super narrow power band, under 300lbs, and no rider aid electronics.

I started in the SCCA autocrossing, then started crewing for some friends who ran SCCA Regionals and the 24 Hours of Nelson (crewed that race 12 times, never drove). Also worked Timing and Scoring back in the day when it was all manual. Got a taste of IMSA sports car racing and never looked back. I worked T&S at the 24 Hours of Daytona just before computerized scoring systems. That’s a long way of saying given a choice, sports cars (IMSA/WEC/LeMans24) are my favorite although recently I’ve been paying much more attention to F1 and IndyCar again.

US coverage of F1 is a SkySports simulcast. Very British and Crofty needs to lay off the Red Bull. :rofl: :joy:

@Shane_Connolly @speedcraft

This was excellent. About the Dunlop brothers race careers.

1 Like

Thanks Dom; I’ll check that out. Those TT racers are on another level of craz… well, let’s call it confidence.

Not for the faint of heart, but this is a very interesting presentation about life saving interventions presented by the late Dr. John Hinds who was a rapid medical response motorcycle rider at TT races. Dr. Hinds passed away due to a crash while on his way to render aid to a fallen racer.

1 Like

Fortunate to have experienced motorcycle “road racing” when I lived in Ireland. It’s as insane as you would imagine. It has to be fighter pilot levels of intensity of not higher. The pinnacle IMO.

The movie sorta shocked me, tbh. It was pretty clear that the longer one races TT, the more likely it would be the last. I don’t know how their families coped with the risk.

I’ve been watching the Real Road Racing series of races from Ireland on MAV TV lately. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

Watched the whole thing, sounds like an amazing, funny, and thoughtful guy. Terribly sad that he passed away