What type of motor mount to buy?

I recently just bought a new KA100 engine and have been looking around different motor mounts and wanted a few tips.

Aside from the different brands what are the differences between them and how does the angle of the motor mount affect the kart? What are your personal preferences and suggestions for a motor mount?

I like the Odenthal 2 piece slide mount. Bought the 5* for my KA. I’ve bought these mounts before and they are very solid, well built and super easy to get chain tension correct.

https://www.accelerationkarting.com/OdenthalEZSetEuroMount

1 Like

I like Bryan’s Odenthal recommendation- we just chose it for Joey’s new mini swift install and it’s a really solid and easy to setup design.

I have often used whatever came with the kart/engine. If I need to or decide to buy an engine mount I have almost exclusively purchased Odenthal. They are a little expensive but very nice.

I have the Odenthal 2 Piece 5 degree for our KA on our Birel. No issues and adjusting it is fairly easy.

1 Like

TDC also makes a similar one.

I’m also in the market for a new engine mount next year.

I like the Ordenthal also, but can someone explain to me what the pros and cons are for the more angled mounting positions? I cannot find any info on this. There are 0, 5 and 10 Degree mounts.

Thanks

Theoretically, 0 is best, but mount degree is over thought honestly. Some karts (if you run really narrow) need an 8 or 15 for tire to carb clearance.

The 8* odenthal works in 90% of cases.

I’ve ran all with no performance difference.

Thanks for your response

I’m not sure what you mean by… for tire to carb clearance.
Maybe I should have stated I’m running a Birel X30.

My response was geared toward a 206, so don’t worry about my carb to tire comment. :grin:

Most 2 cycles roll with a flat 0 degree mount.

1 Like

I’d just get a standard motor mount from a factory. Parolin, Birel, OTK, iPK, and most others all run the same tube spacing for their frames. As long as it isn’t CRG or American tube sizing and spacing, you should be okay.

1 Like

So can you (or should you) run an 8 degree mount for something like X30/ KA?

Yeah, you can. The only thing about an angled mount is that ir raises the engine up. Ideally the crank and the axle are the same height, the further up the crank is from the axle, the more bind you get in the chain when the kart flexes. Theoretically it robs a little power coming out of corners, or you’ll be a little more likely to throw a chain, but realistically it’s not a big deal for a KA or X30

1 Like