What's going through your mind as you wait on the grid?

I know this is going to sound weird, but why does what happen to him matter to you?
Selfishly, I only really care what’s going to happen to me when I’m driving.

I like me.

I know this is going to sound weird, but why does what happen to him matter to you?
Selfishly, I only really care what’s going to happen to me when I’m driving.

I like me.

Seeing first-hand and realizing the danger of your hobby can have quite an effect on a lot of people.

It shouldn’t, rationally…

John had bad luck. He got clipped in a dangerous place to get clipped and got flipped. (Ambulance/Hospital). He’s ok with some broken bones and dislocated shoulder, I think. I should ask him what it feels like to get squashed by your own kart sometime. He’s a tough old bird!

It just freaked me out. Bear in mind this is effectively season 2 for me. I’m still a n00b here without much karting experience.

The one thing that makes me nervous is the idea of the dumb stuffs I do in life to amuse myself and find meaning, can potentially impact my family. I am a salesperson so I eat what I kill. Rawr!

Also, I’m a bit of a scaredy-cat. That’s kinda why I love “dangerous” sports. (but not too dangerous!). You wont see me trying those sprint oval dirt cars that look so fun, for example. However, my adolescent and adult sporting-life has largely been about saying to myself, “You can do that, Dom.”

I get that. I just wanted to see what your rationale was.

I’ve lost count of the number of racers who have created a self-fulfilling prophecy by basically “looking into the accident.”

The subconscious mind doesn’t understand the difference between what you’re visualizing and what’s actually happening to you.

I have yet to do a kart race. But from my AMA motorcycle racing days, only turn 1!

I try and play out how turn one is going to go based on who is in front and behind me. Then I zone out until we are told to roll out on the track.

I honestly can’t recall thinking about anything other than “let’s get this race started already!” I guess that just goes into my #shutupanddrivethekart mentality.

1 Like

Ty’s been teaching that to me, and actually it does work. I’m a chronic overthinker.

My grid strategy is walk around and kill people with kindness before the race and try to create any sort of good karma possible.

Then I sit in the kart, visor cracked and think about as little as possible. I will note those around me and risk factors but most of our heat races are pea pick and they create such a shit show of chaos that no matter what you plan for something different will happen.

1 Like

I like your style, Sir!

i’m a zone out guy, too. i’ve usually done all my heavy thinking with my kart on the stand, but when i finally climb in, i just try to relax. i’m usually pretty successful at the relaxing. turn 1 on my home track is sharp enough to cause some mayhem, but i don’t even worry about that too much, cuz it will be whatever it will be. turn 2 is usually where you have the time to look around and think about things, but you’re in it already. so in general, just sitting on the grid, i don’t worry too much about playing scenarios out, just focus on relaxing and staying calm.

1 Like

Once I get in my zone, I try to don’t overthink.
IMO when you try to anticipate what can happen and something completely different happens you can’t react as fast as you could for that different scenario.
This technique is something that I took many years to realize and it’s being working pretty well since I started doing it.

1 Like

As well as good karma, this also makes it morally harder for other people to punt you. Who punts to punt the guy that just gave them a fist bump?

:raising_hand_man:t2:

I’ll punt @fatboy1dh in a heartbeat.

I’d be disappointed if you didn’t try! I will obviously return the favor. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The last 3 races I’ve been in I was able to finish due to mechanical issues. So as I’m sitting there on the grid waiting for the race to start, I’m usually having a conversation with my kart:

“LOOK- Today I don’t want any B.S. so you better run right.”

2 Likes

Like all great drivers of my time, I keep my visor cracked halfway, remain as still and stoic as possible, try to give off an air of aloofness and coldness, and cross my arms.

5 Likes

The two most intimidating drivers. The one mentioned above, and the dude in jeans and a leather jacket chilling in a chair while everyone grids up

1 Like

Having the visor cracked the perfect amount is key. Just enough to not get sweat running down your nose, but not so far that the photographer can accidentally see your face…

1 Like