What's going through your mind as you wait on the grid?

I am thinking of developing an intimidating dance that I do on the way to the kart. Sort of like the New Zealand rugby team.

Y’all can sit there looking cool while me and the crew make scary faces and psych everyone out.

2 Likes

For me, usually I end up not having time to think. After pushing up, setting the kart down, putting the kart stand away, running back to pits to get my glasses, putting my walker away and etc, it’s time to start. If we are stuck on the grid waiting my mind drifts around. Karts don’t really get me anxious but way back when I raced Formula Fords, I would yawn, a sign of anxiety, but it was gone when we started to roll.

2 Likes

I can relate to that. At least early on, the anxiety leading up to the race was almost physical.

I would sit and get calm, acknowledging that what comes next, comes next, and it’s time to put the blinders on and go. Kalm.

:rofl:
@OldFartKarter What kind of FF did you have?

Larry on his walker

4 Likes

My first was a Dulon MP15 then a Lola T440.

Cool, where did you race?
I had a Lola T342 in 1981 or so, then a Crossle 32, and about 20 years after that a Crossle 45. I ran in the SF Region.

Warren, So Cal, early 80s for a few years, then got married and had kids. I really couldn’t afford to do it right, so I went back to laydown karting. That ended too, as kids were a priority. You probably know the story. Started my 2nd phase of karting been at for 2 decades.

I really enjoy your perspective and, let’s say, the intellectual investment that you put in on the topic of driver/vehicle behavior. I’m probably the same and being retired I have time to theorize and then try to apply in karting, it isn’t working so far.

Cheers!

1 Like

I really should’ve peed

I generally sit. Not a lot of movement. Singing a song in my head. Nothing special. Just whatever is stuck in my head. And try to maintain that until the green drops.

Boobies. There’s rarely much else in there :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did I get the gas cap screwed all the way on?

How long are we going to sit here in this leaded gas / oil fume haze?

Why am I doing this again?

1 Like

Running Masters a few times a year after being the Tuner/Dad for my son for many years, I tend to find myself just laughing and having fun with the other guys.

Typically I am late getting my stuff on. Scrabbling to get in seat before the grid leaves.

When I am ready on time, I try to think what would my Son be thinking I should do. He gave me words of advice that stick with me. Simply, don’t suck. :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh forgot this one
The anxiety of finding someone who’s willing to lift my kart (I’m 145lb)

2 Likes

As someone who’s 130ish, it’s always a fun game at the track of finding someone who’s prepared for leg day to help lift a kart.

You gotta be the nice guy and lift other peoples karts to help convince people to lift yours, but by than, your legs are already dead

Agreed, along with… so why do they have to be made of steel tubing?

Ultralites in Balsa? Wouldn’t need to worry about drop down noses. One incident and DNF.

1 Like

LOL, no my gut says kevlar fiber. Stong and light, with an adjustable flex joint in the middle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaU5LOxF6y6/