Wheel and cockpit recommendations

im looking to get a fanatec csl elite f1 wheel and pair it with a next level f-gt sim racing cockpit. has anyone here purchased any of these products and is so what do u think of it.

I have the F-GT and I really like it. I keep it in formula layout almost all the time because it’s a bit annoying to change it, but otherwise it’s sturdy and good price for what you get.

The CSL Elite is good, but might want to check out the brand new CSL DD wheel they just announced. The new standarDD: The CSL DD — Fanatec Forum

Pricing is real good for a DD wheel, though it’s not as powerful as the full-bore models. It should offer good feel and feedback compared to other similarly priced non-dd models.

2 Likes

theres currently something on the fanatec website where u can get a csl elite bass a f1 wheel and pedals for 599 dollars i dont know if its a good deal or not .

It’s a decent price for good equipment. The new DD seems interesting but @tankyx points out that the small units previously had thermal issues. Also, 5nm is insufficient. It will cost extra to unlock 8nm.

Their belt drive product is very good and mature.

I may go down the discount DD route once it has been in the wild for a bit.

1 Like

The 5nm advertised by the new DD is really close to the CSL Elite which peaks at 6nm. And I’d argue that 5nm for $350 is really quite good, I don’t think there’s a stronger base out there for less. I’d still probably wait until some reviews are out there for it, but I think its an intriguing enough option to at least consider waiting for that to come out. But the CSL Elite is also a very good product, I know a couple people with one that have been very happy with it.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s a screamingly good price, for sure. I would be wary given the thermal issues, tho. I drive sim a lot and I overheat the belt drive fairly often. I wonder how much unlocking the extra 3nm will cost.

@tankyx sgowed me a thing, how to properly set up your forces. Peak on the USF 2000 is 32nm apparently. More depth of torque allows you to hit peaks without clipping. I’d be concerned that 5nm isn’t enough.

1 Like

Pedals: get the loadcell ones. The og version is fine and about 200 I think.

2 Likes

While I’m on the verge myself of going direct drive, I’ve been very happy with my CSL elite wheel base that I’ve been using for almost 2 years now, for the money it’s hard to beat…until they released the budget DD as noted above.

absolutely spring for the load cell pedals (CSL version is fine), the brake pedal is the most important part of the equation and should take priority over almost anything else in your setup.

1 Like

Which thermal issues are you worried about? Has heat been an issue with Fanatec DD bases in the past?

1 Like

There is another manu that came to market with a small dd. It had issues related to heat. @tankyx care to share your thotts?

1 Like

Werd, I was unaware.

1 Like

Not on the DD1 DD2, but on the very small mige (7-8Nm MIGE). Because they are so small and passively cooled, there is not enough heat dissipation area, which leads to overheating.
Seeing that Fanatec went with a passive cooling design, I fear we can see that happening too.

1 Like

Next Level Gaming F-GT cockpit is a good one.