Why do you Kart?

Success? Were you able to get it done in time? I bet she went nuts.

I used to surf a lot in nor-cal. Nothing like seeing a half eaten seal on the beach as you paddle out. Remind me why we thought this was a good idea when we were young?

Just a nod to a fellow (former) aficionado of the green room.

2 Likes

LOL. When I was stationed at Vandenberg I tried boogie boards at Pismo Beach. Paddled way out past the pier. When I came in someone informed me they were the #1 spot for shark attacks… Ooops

Karts are much safer (I think).

Apparently the lads from top gear were in Reunion for their latest show. They went swimming and were pulled out of the water. Tons and tons of tiger sharks there, apparently. I recall a ladies pro event in reunion where the lineup had a 10+ footer prowling around so they had to call it.

While the sharks are of course dangerous, it’s the currents that would kill the vast majority of folks. At OB, the current parallel to the beach was about 5 mph, for context and the undertows were fierce (helpful to make it outside). Sadly, Every year, folks would be sucked into the ocean from the beach. The worst scenarios are where the parents try to save the kids and no one makes it out.

So tldr to those walking along the beach: stay away from big water you don’t have experience with. The ocean is utterly unforgiving in some places.

Ok enough non-karting talk!

It wasn’t as loud and squeaky as I thought it was going to be. I think she was speechless, because she hardly made a sound for a few seconds.

I had it sitting outside the front door. After everyone had opened all of their gifts, I told her I think Santa left something for you out front. She looked puzzled, then went to the door. She opened the front door, made kind of gasped a little bit and slowly walked around to the side and stepped in. It was if she had done it a hundred times. One foot into the seat, grabbed the wheel, then the other foot and just plopped down. Mom was kept asking what is it? As her feet alternatingly pressed the pedals, she said, “It’s a Go Kart!”, in a high pitched voice.

Unfortunately between the weather here and my work schedule, we have not made it out to the track to give her a proper run down. We did manage one evening to make it to an abandoned parking lot near the house where she got to do a few small laps before the sun dropped to low. We were hoping for another shot this weekend, but the forecast is calling for rain again. Cold and wet is not the ideal first track experience, but we may try anyway.

1 Like

Success indeed. What a great description as well. Go get em, Kid!

I think you should wait for a good day. You want her first experience in the kart to be good. Cold, wet, and trying to learn how to drive on a slick track has the potential to leave a bad taste.

I was worried about that myself. Going to play it by ear. She has been bugging the crap out of me to get out there, but I want it to be a positive experience too.

Still miss it unfortunately, boards are all in the shed still. Maybe one day.
Would be a good way of staying fit, One thing about karts though, is you need all of your appendages to make it work…

embrace the cold and lack of grip. Why do you think the UK has so many world champions?

1 Like

Looking good so far. Cant wait for an actual season

One of my first performance kart experiences was 5 laps in 40 degrees and rain, on slicks, having to keep the engine under 5000 to break it in. I went home smiling

I hear you. As a kid, I would have endured freezing and ice patches for the chance to take my own kart out. Not so sure about my little one. Maybe boys are just a little more fearless at that age. Found out this afternoon I will have to work tomorrow (my one Saturday off per month) and Sunday is supposed to 60-70% chance for rain. We only have slicks for her at the moment. Not looking good. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m not in the habit of selecting on the dependent variable and declaring those results as fact :wink:

You declared a ‘good day’ should be aimed for. Have you got any analysis and study that suggests driver who start on wet days or more likely to be put off by a sport?

:wink: :slight_smile:

There is a body of work on the topic of negativity bias.

Greg you know you child better than anyone, driving around in the rain can be great fun, or feel miserable. It really depends on what you think your kid might enjoy. You can always ask them of course. If you do it just make provisions to stay warm… towels, rain clothes etc.

Does that really matter when it’s day 1 though?

1 Like

There’s also research that states that expectation of a negative experience often doesn’t match up with the reality of said experience :wink:

In fact it is you who is promoting negative bias. I am saying, rain ain’t that bad. In avoiding it like the plague one is placing a higher value on that being negative experience.

Yes, that’s all that matter. #1 babbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy :wink:

I feel like rain can be very fun if your just putting laps in by yourself, I know some people who actually prefer racing in the rain then in the dry. They’re nuts :joy:

1 Like