Why do you wear a rib protector?

On occasion my daughter has had some hip bruises, but I think that was more to the size of the seat. 2018 we switched to running a NEK seat, and have been in one ever since. The NEK seat works good for her since there are cutouts in the hip section the helps her, plus the longer sides give her the ability to use the outside of her thighs to hold her in or maneuver the kart. Lately, I’ve been seeing more people running either the NEK or Jecko seat (which are the same).

The move to the NEK was not planned, it happened because we bought a new kart and they didn’t have a seat that fit my daughter, but my friend who had just moved to sprint cars from karts had the NEK seat and gave me a killer deal on it.

I run NEK seats as well

1 Like

So noobie question, I have a Bengio rib protector. I seems like it is “riding up” on me during a session. After one session is was up in my armpits. Is this because I’m wearing it wrong or seat size being wrong?

So if it’s too big it does that a lot. The wierd thing with Rib protectors is they should fit you when seated. I ran around with a too big one for a while and it was fine.

I got a small 3 years ago, but its too small for me now. rides under my armpits. I want to get a medium but also dont want to spend the money again, as I dont know how long itll be till im back in a kart

It also may be your seating position causing it to ride up. I was having that problem cos I was stretching to reach full pedal travel. I adjusted my pedals towards me and adjusted the heel stop and that fixed it.

Anyone know if those CIK mandated rib/chest protectors made their way over to the states yet? I’m sorta curious how they feel

My friend had bought one and said he preferred the normal bengio

1 Like

I can totally relate to this. Being at the extra long end of the spectrum compared to most karters, I definitely feel the difference between wearing one and not. That and I am also old, lol! When I first started karting, early 40’s, I didn’t use a vest and at the end of the day into the next, I could feel the soreness in my ribs. Having to show up at work with such pain made it difficult. I looked at several protectors on the market and they all seemed really short compared to my long torso. Came across the Ribtect in several posts and pulled the trigger. I have not looked back. No more soreness in my ribs, now if the rest of me wasn’t so sore after a long race day I will be ecstatic!

1 Like

I swear everyones had a miracle story when it comes to rib protectors
A good rib protector is the only thing I can think of that actually works miracles. There are a bunch of things that are marketed as a perfect solution for something, but rib protectors are the only one that actually is perfect
bengio and ribtect are really missing out on some sponsor deals with KP members

1 Like

They have us by the ribs and they know it! An Italian man has me in a bear hug and is trying to squeeze $499 out of me.

1 Like

I’d think you could have a custom seat fitted for that much.

Yeah. I would be surprised if the homologated ones catch on with the non-pro set of karters.

Are there custom seats? I need one.

Sort of. In cars you can use a bean bag full of foam pellets like a beanbag to make a custom seat.

If I’m not mistaken, you get one of those kirkey buckets that has no padding, plop the beanbag on it, put in the catalyst, and sit there until it hardens. Cut/sand off the extra. Bob’s your uncle.

This could work on a kart I suppose.

1 Like

Maybe make your own with something like this (about $200).
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=SEATFITTING
and another source…

2 Likes

Sounds like That’s Luca Bratzi squeezing you

1 Like