X30 Max Theoretical Power?

I am just wondering, what’s the max power an unrestricted X30 can make if there were no rules?
Has any engine builder tried this? No limits on squish gap / timing / octane limit / changes to port / etc.

Its hard to gauge because it depends on the dyno. I’ve seen claims as high as 50HP for 125s on gas, more on Methanol and there’s no reason an X30 could not make that same peak power.

That said, you have to consider that for an increase in peak power, you’re possibly going to lose under the curve which is crucial in a single gear kart… a 50HP 125 is comically bad in a single gear situation… imagine running a shifter in 4th for a full lap…

Senior OKs are well into the 40s hp wise so that kind of power isn’t unusable and generally well-received by drivers. The KF driving experience however still give me nightmares.

OK is a power valve engine though no?

Yes I forgot to add that. Even still I reckon I can handle 50hp sudam beast freak machine, dunno about anyone else, bring it. haha

How much power is the Sudam rated at?
The IAME Codasur is rated at 45hp.

I also wonder what’s the mechanical features of such an 125cc engine that allows it to make that much power over a regular TaG X30.

1 Like

The X30 is made for Longevity.

I loved my KF2, so thrilling to drive :smiley: 42hp on dyno

I wish someone would have answered your question as I am also wondering what’s the power on a Sudam air cooled and water cooled engines?
I did see the Codasur specifications, 45hp, but limited at 15000Rpm.
What’s the maximum Rpm for a Sudam air cooled, I’ve read reports of 18000Rpm-20000Rpm and when properly tuned they can get to 55+hp, but I don’t know if there’s any truth to this…

The truth is that nobody really knows. Reason being that a maxed out for power two stroke makes a terrible single gear karting engine. Think KZ stuck in 6th gear.

You’d also need to define what’s allowed and not to get to that “max power” number. You can start with an X30 and make it into a 150, convert to methanol, run 3-5% nitro and be into the 50HP+ territory. But is it really an X30 anymore at that point? Engines like that tend to be used in oval racing with highly adjustable clutches that live in slip.

A SUDAM will turn 18k, but it’s not making 50HP there. Actually I would hazard a guess that those two scenarios are separate ones.

You can have a SUDAM making 50HP (Methanol, narrow power band)…. Or you can have the one that turns 18k which is probably more in the 30HP territory.

Plus as some alluded to, a lot of these HP figures are bullshit.

/edit just realized I basically repeated myself :laughing:

1 Like

What do you consider an “X30”? If the studs match you could put a Reedster OK cylinder, head, pipe and carburetor on it and have 38 hp or so.

To have something that looks and drives vaguely like an X30 engine, you could get an EC Carburetors X380A methanol carburetor. Methanol instead of gasoline at the same compression pressure and airflow gives 13% extra power due to the greater energy release per unit of oxygen used. You could also raise cranking compression pressure from 175 to 210 psi, which should add about 7% to the thermal efficiency and thus power at the same airflow. So I’d estimate without grossly screwing everything up you could add 20% to the power output. The only problems would be that the ignition timing wouldn’t even be close to right, and the exhaust gas temperature change would change the effective length of the pipe, so the powerband RPM would change. I’d still expect to maintain the nice broad powerband and strong throttle response of the X30.

For an alternative, may I suggest an OK engine and some really really sticky tires? That should provide a wild and exciting driving experience.

It would be interesting to test an OK engine, 16000Rpm, power valve, a Codasur 175, 45hp, but limited at 15000Rpm, and a Sudam with dual Tillotson carb assembly