X30 oil type change after break-in

Hello,
I’ve run few sessions of around 1H overall (including break-in) with ELF HTX 976+ as suggested by IAME, but I’m considering switch to Motul Kart Grand Prix.
Someone at the track said me it’s better to avoid changing oil type after break-in and keep using the same until next rebuild, what do you think?

Doesn’t matter, run with the oil you are comfortable with. And mix correct

I’ve always run motul with good results, in kz and 100cc old engines that rev to 19k

2 Likes

never had any problems switching throw mix oils , but always check that the oils you use are at the specs that the manufacturer asks . Im running Xeramic and Wladoil for my 2 stroke kart engines with no problems .

1 Like

I repost here something i wrote a couple of years ago, in a long thread titled best oil for x30. Elf is the best according to Iame

Richard: in general, outside of the USA, many federations respect the cik-fia regulations, which has a list of approved oils.
for example: https://www.fiakarting.com/sites/default/files/2019-12/lubrifiant2020.pdf
Out of these, in Europe Iame recommends Wladoil, Elf and Lexoil, at 5% ratio . (Please review your X30 manual for the country you are in.)
Wladoil and Lexoil are not imported in the USA. Even the Elf HTX 909 was not imported into the USA until 2020. These are very high quality products, very expensive and with a very limited market size for even a giant like Elf to bother with. (After all, how many racing two strokes spinning at 16,000 rpms are left in the country?) .
As you may know, our efforts to standardize the oil in the Usa with Elf have finally been successful, with both Skusa and Uspks adopting the same rules for 2021 at a national level, which is great news! First, it is the best oil available in the Usa for our engines. Second, it simplifies the life of the whole driver/tuner/teams. If there were a problem, you can pretty much exclude oil quality/quantity. As you may know, we have been selling x30s all over the world for more than 15 years, and all our importers promptly advise us of technical difficulties. Unfortunately, very often they are caused by different oil brands used by different organizations. Really nobody wants the good name of their products damaged by lubricants that have not been thoroughly tested in all kinds of conditions for sufficient time, no matter how well they may perform on other engines.
As you say, airplane engineers do what the manual says, and for a reason. Iame has been making karting engines since 1968, maybe they should know by now which oil works best for their engines?
I hope to have explained the situation clearly,
Felix