X30 restricted performance question

In Australia the restrictor size for senior X30 is 22.7mm. I’ve only ever run my new out of the box X30 with the restrictor in.

I have a feeling this might be a dumb question but I’ll ask anyway: Would there be any benefit no matter how minor, in taking the restrictor out, using the stickier tyre and taking the lead off my seat, for one practise day, just to give the engine a run at max capacity?

Hey Matty,

I can’t speak for the X30 specifically, but my son’s 206 has a restricted slide on it.

I see the benefit of practicing at the unrestricted power levels (in our case, replacing the restricted green slide with the senior black slide). It allows the driver to get used to the faster pace, so that when they return to the restricted pace, it’s more manageable. That said, it’s still very important to become proficient with the restricted pace, so that you are smooth and can squeeze out every last tenth possible. You don’t want to develop bad habits with the added power that wouldn’t translate to the restricted class.

Regarding weight and tires, my advice would be to keep them the same as the restricted class. You want to get to know the tire for your class and how it handles at different grip levels and in different situations. And in my limited experience, removing weight will be a big change that can disrupt the handling/setup of your kart.