Your Opinion about the best Racing Chassis for BSR Power Unit?

"Yes, of course, for achieving a top speed that goes above 150km/h (100mph), aerodynamics plays a significant role. We also observed this during the tests. Naturally, other factors also come into play affecting it, so I’d be keen to know what adjustments should be made to the KZ2 chassis, tires, etc., to maximize top speed. In this case, we didn’t modify anything outside the standard.

Here is a video from the last tests in Gorland Ring GP - Sweeden: Beyond Limits | Gotlandring | 150km/h | Blue Shock Race - YouTube

Yes.

For high speeds - you have enough power - you just need a long enough straightaway. Apex Kart Raceway in Perris CA gives 150 km/h on a KZ kart with 35 kW, so if you have 25 kW you need a straightaway that’s 600m long.

I think the X1 chassis with three bearings will work well for this application.

1 Like

25kW+ version we have 33KW of power. So it should be close to KZ2.
But can KZ2 reach 170km/h with standard racing chassis?

Yes, a KZ will go around 190 km/h on the freeway!

Most tracks have KZ maximum speeds around 140 km/h.

2 Likes

2010 Trackmagic Prototype 30/32 Chassis with front brakes.

This is the chassis I took in 420cc to 30 wins out of 36 wins over 3 seasons with a worst finishing position of 3rd. The 420cc engine weight was around 60lbs. (12lbs flywheel!)

1 Like

I race in TaG Senior/Master. If you are not familiar, that is a 125cc water cooled 2 stroke on a tuned pipe, with an onboard starter and a single fixed gear using a dry clutch. TaG is a somewhat open category allowing multiple engine manufacturers, but following the same general formula. Power discrepancies between brands are moderated by minimum weights. I am a big guy. In Senior I am 50 lbs over minimum weight and 20 lbs over in Masters. Adding more weight will not help my situation. :wink:

1 Like

For me the chassis must have the seat centered with the searing wheel and pedals. I see the offset seat as a legacy of hot wide engines and a unnecessary quirk for electric karts.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’m divirging from the topic, but I’ll give the context of some of the stuff they do in the US on long tracks.

Very easily, with one caveat, it’s not typically possible on dedicated kart tracks. Otherwise, it’s just a gearing change and go.

The next trick to add extra top speed is a larger nosecone, this is a non CIK bodywork part that can be used in certain shifter kart classes in the US. Essentially the theory is to use a large cone to “punch” a hole in the air and have the rest of the kart go through it.

@Rapid1 probably has some photo examples of these. I’d say the are good for at least another 5-10 MPH in top speed. Here’s a similar nose style:

The ultimate in top speed of course is to get the driver out of the air and make the kart as narrow as possible. Ie, laydown karts.

Some amazing looking examples here: Coolest, Fastest Karts from WKA Kartweek 2018 at Daytona

You seem keen on crazy ideas, I think if you wanted to showcase your power package, a laydown kart on the banks of Daytona would be a very unique way to do it and would be great content. Of course you’ll have to discuss with the WKA, but you have a few months to prepare :smiley:

2 Likes

These already sound like small figures; with 2 motors, it would be even more impressive. In the case of BSR, they would be around 250Nm per motor, or approximately 500Nm on the rear axle. That’s already as much as a 2-ton Tesla :smiley: Crazy.

It would definitely be interesting to work with these superkarts. They are not that widespread in Europe; I know they exist, but we haven’t had direct contact with such top-level ones.

In the US, within 3-4 months, we certainly won’t manage, but it’s definitely one of the steps that should be taken. Sounds like a lot of fun :slight_smile:

Here is one of the projects that one of our clients has implemented in their student formula car; it’s something similar, in my opinion.