Zamp Helmet Models For Karting?

I contacted them about different size cheek pads to try and tighten up the fit of mine. It seems my helmet is right at the point where the cheek pads of the next size up are shaped differently than the ones in my helmet. Their suggestion was the head sock which has worked reasonably well for me. OTOH, my son seems to have no problem with the fit of his and it doesn’t seem to ride up. Helmet shape vs head shape?

1 Like

I haven’t used a Zamp, I know plenty of people who do and they haven’t gone out of their way to tell me issues with it. I personally don’t like how they look which is why I’ve steered away from them (visor is waaaaay to big for my preferred aesthetic).

But some of there are some brands out there that are made in the same factories as the big guys but are substantially cheaper and you get all the benefits. I have a Turn One/Oreca which is obviously a Stilo. I got it for $400 and its a SA2020. But I think they have stopped making it, which might mean you’ll find it on clearance. I haven’t been able to find it in the US.

Also Bell have a couple of budget brands, everyone knows OMP (OMP have a SA2015 helmet on sale right now) but they also have B2 (all part of the Racing Force Group).
https://www.b2helmets.com/auto-racing

2 Likes

I don’t think mine moves from bumps, it is more from air, which is more about fit I would guess.

1 Like

I use the Zamp rz-36 and really like it. It is very comfortable, great snug fit, no pressure points on my head, no noise complaints.

I wear glasses and can fit them between the padding on the side and my ears. I was worried about the view port being big enough and it is. I find it has great visibility.

I do use a balaclava.

I haven’t had an issue with it moving up on me.

I bought it earlier this year. I have only two race days and two practice sessions.

I like this particular one because it has a kevlar shell that makes it light.

Based on the experience so far, I’ll buy it again.

1 Like

Ok. Don’t pick a helmet over the internet.

Go to the biggest motorcycle superstore you can find, and try on ALL of them. In SoCal that’s either Chaparral in San Bernardino or Cycle Gear.

I wear a Shoei RF-SR. I could wear it for an entire day at work without discomfort.

1 Like

I have no issues with my Zamp FS-9 riding up at all. Sizing is really important. My karting helmets fit very snug and that’s how I’ve always wanted them since my MX days. Look at F1 guys when they finish a race, welt marks on their faces. If your helmet is riding up in a kart, it’s probably too big. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Definitely best practice but I’m not aware of any retailers around in these here parts.

i think i replied in the linked thread, but i have a zamp, and it stays put. i like it alot. i think it depends on your head. after buying a racequip helmet, that did ride up on my head, when i bought the zamp, i made sure to put one on, then basically do some headbanging, to see if it moved around. it didn’t, so i bought it. it’s never been a distraction during a race.

1 Like

Like many have mentioned, I think it depends on the shape of your head and sizing. I have the Zamp RZ-35 SA 2015. Its a little more snug at my forehead and the back of my skull, which I like. When I first put it on I do have to pull the bill down, but have not had to adjust it during a race. The padding is removable and washable, which I also like. I have noticed a bit of degradation over the years, but considering its now almost 9 years old I cannot complain.

I did go to a race shop and try on several models before purchasing it. If that is an option, I would recommend doing so.

1 Like

Bob’s Cycle in St. Paul is nationally famous

1 Like

I have the Zamp FS9 in flat black, and I’ve absolutely hated it from day one. I was forced to buy one at a CKNA or forego my race, and Zamp was all they carried. Absolutely a cheap helmet. An HJC helmet is alittle more expensive ($159-200), but way more comfortable, and better made IMHO.

1 Like

I have raced with Zamp helmets for 8 years now. Currently running a RZ-64C, but i have run RZ-32, RZ-34C, and RZ-65 in the past. One thing that is not often taken into account with the sizing of the helmets is that most of the padding is interchangeable, so you can use a large helmet and adjust the padding sizes in the helmet to fit your preferences. The RZ-64C and RZ-34C tended to ride up after a few laps, but my RZ-65 had no issues with this.

1 Like

Yep, I stopped by last Friday and grabbed a HRC i-10. I really wanted a Bell but they didn’t have the model I wanted in stock (Needed it for the weekend) and the Shoei’s started $600 ish which was a bit out of budget.

I have a Bell RS7-K and my wife has a Zamp RZ-59 (one of the cheapest SA2020 models). Overall, the Bell is definitely higher quality all around. The biggest difference being that the shield for the Bell are all double layered and I have not had them fog even once. My wife’s Zamp shield is a standard single layer which handles fog decently well but not as well as my Bell. The other area where I think the Bell is superior is ventilation. With the air scoops on my RS7-K, I can actually feel cool air coming into the helmet. My wife has the center top scoop on her Zamp and she can’t really feel a difference compared to without it. I believe that my RS7-K is lighter as well (for similar sizes). My wife is a XS while I wear a large so I can’t compare the exact weights of our helmets 1:1. The Bell helmet shields are way WAY more expensive than Zamp which is something to consider if you find yourself changing shields often. The Zamp shields are like $40 while the Bell SE07 shields are $140+.

That said, the Zamp isnt a POS either. The padding feels fine, is well buttoned up and is a great value at $210 (compared to $700 for my RS7-K). To be honest, it doesn’t feel too different from a Simpson helmet I was handling awhile ago. Albeit, She only races rental leagues but has no complaints about her Zamp! IMO, if you are on a budget, there is nothing significantly “wrong” with them other than being a bit less polished and heavier. But, the weight and overall quality over Zamp is evident when handling a Arai or Bell.

Oh, one other thing is that the eye port appears to be smaller on my RS7-K compared to the Zamp. Peripheral angle seems about the same but the RS7-K eye port height up and down seems smaller with the standard sun strip applied. That was the biggest difference I felt moving to the RS7-K from my old Shoei moto helmet I was previously using!

1 Like

Not a bad choice. That’s my other helmet. Myself and 3 teammates use Cardo headsets on practice and endurance events too communicate and the I-10 has the provisions for the ear pieces and mic with wire tracks built in.

1 Like

Take simpson for a consideration. Within $400 budget, simpson for me is more a proper helmet. Plus it looks way cooler for the budget.

If I am not mistaken, the Stig had a white Simpson.

Correct. The stig helmet is called diamond black, its around $720 but shit looks way cooler.

1 Like

Unless Simpson has stepped up their game in recent years, I wouldn’t recommend them for the price. The recent ones I painted were not great quality. The shells were asymmetrical, the padding was cheap, and the fabrics inside fell apart. And the interior is basically all assembled with a mess of hot glue.

For the money I think there are better options in my opinion.

1 Like

Bought mine long time ago still okay till today. Sorry for your prob tho.