2019 Briggs & Stratton 206 US Ruleset

Here it is, straight from Briggs, the 2019 ruleset. I think this year might be the most “active” one on social media yet with regards to tech on the 206.

See also:

How will the 2019 briggs206 ruleset impact your racing plans for 2019?

2019 BRIGGS & STRATTON 206 US RULE SET RELEASED

It is hard to believe that the 206 program is starting its 10th year of competition. That is 10 YEARS without a rule change that has impacted any 206 engine or short block that we have built. “How many other engine platforms or rule sets can say that?”, stated David Klaus, Director - Briggs & Stratton Racing. “Imagine the financial impact that engine or rule changes have within our sport. One of the building blocks when we started this program was to keep racing affordable through stability. We are proud of this accomplishment and would like to thank our racers who support us in this continued quest.”

A second building block to this program is consistency through manufacturing, machining, and final hand assembly that gives racers the ability to open a box and be competitive on day one. “For 9 years we have seen engines from the box reach the podium at the highest levels of racing. This consistency is fundamental to ultimately controlling cost.”

The 2019 rule set maintains these building blocks while reinforcing our continual commitment to tighten, not relax tolerances without impacting what we have previously manufactured.

The top line updates are a reduction in piston pop-up from .005” to .0035”, a change to our combustion chamber depth measurements and overall cylinder head thickness.

“Let me stress that these updates will have ZERO impact on any engine, short block, or cylinder head that we have ever built for this program. The only possible way a racer would be impacted is if they took it upon themselves to make illegal modifications. If there is any response to the narrowing of a tolerance then let their integrity be known. It is as simple as that.”

In addition our Go and No-Go standards will be defined by classification and size of each pin gauge. By exact specifications we can eliminate any possible tech variance when it comes to gauging. “I might sound like a broken record but this again has ZERO impact on any part we have previously sold. It is simply an assurance that every tech official is on the same page.”

Lastly, As we move forward with this program we will hit a point where we will see a small transition. Engines built up until 2013 identified by not having a colored seal wire (verses a single black or black and red) will no longer be eligible for competition in 2020. We expect this to have very little impact given the age of these products today as well as the advanced notice given. As with past rule sets any update year over year is highlighted in RED.

The 2019 Briggs 206 rulebook can be found: here

Questions that I’ve seen come up so far:

Noah Stark: Will there be enough supply of blocks for Daytona kartweek

Nick Astarb Last year my Cadet ran a Green Slide, Has this changed to Red for 2019?

Kyle Joseph Lev Brandon Buehler won’t local clubs still have the option to allow it (old style seals) and this would mainly affect national events?

Some builders claim the marked popup on shipped motors differs from what they have measured themselves. What is the process at the factory to measure popup and have there been any changes to the “field” tech process.

Jennifer Larsen Smark (re the new/old seals) i guess my bigger question that perhaps Briggs will answer in the future is “ why this change?” Where those early engines not produced to the tighter specs they have now or did they find that something with those early seals could be manipulated? Love the change in pop up, think that will take care of a lot of them in itself.

What can a newcomer do to avoid buying a .0050" motor

Is there a program for people with a pre 2013 motor and the original seal to get a deal on a short block.

From the rulebook. Here’s how to check what version of the seal/motor you have.

Does anyone have a picture of the old Seals that will no longer be legal?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure my seal is the old style but the kart isn’t at my house. I’ll grab a photo if I get out to where it’s stored.

Basically it’s the style on the left but the wire is just pure grey/silver and doesn’t have any stripes intertwined in it.

Hopefully James can get a pic. I wasn’t able to, as both I have are the Gen 2 seal with the black wire. It’s pretty easy to tell. The newest has Orange housing and the previous version has a black wire woven into it.

Nice comparison of the 2018 and 2019 rulesets from Justin Schuoler here: