2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Jost Capito and there technical director have left William’s.

I think Jost wants to retire but i think he might be a good Ferrari hire if he’s looking to work another 10 years.

2 Likes

Seemed out of the blue, but I guess he always said that this was going to be a short stint to help the team get back on their feet so he could go back to his retirement.

All I’m reading says that Vasseur to Ferrari is a done-deal, that a contract is signed.

Williams should hire Vettel as TP. That’d be a cool move.

Yes. I’ll be a supporter of Sebs Army

Since I have no clue who he is I’m gonna assume this one is real.

Frédéric Vasseur (born 28 May 1968 in Draveil, Ile-de-France) is a French motor sport engineer and manager with a long career managing Formula-series teams. He was the managing director and CEO as well as team principal of the Switzerland-based Alfa Romeo Racing and was appointed Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team Principal in December 2022, replacing Mattia Binotto.[1]

A Frenchman, good. There will be dramas.

And Seidle has left Mclaren, what is going on.

Big day for Team Principal moves.
Vasseur to Ferrari is a good move I think. He will favor Charles (Charles raced for him in F3 and for Sauber) unless Carlos starts consistently out-performing him, which I don’t see. Vasseur has made strong statements saying the believes there should be a number 1 and number 2 driver and they should be prioritized accordingly if you want to win a championship. Bad news for Carlos, but good news for a Ferrari team that seemed to lack hard and fast direction of late. I like Fred, he’s got a good sense of humor and he seems to be a good leader.

Replacing Vasseur, Andreas Seidl goes to Alfa (which will become Audi) as team CEO and Team Principal. Andreas seems to have done a good job leading McLaren back to form, and he’s a no-nonsense German which is perfect for Audi’s impending takeover.

Andrea Stella gets promoted at McLaren to become team principal.

Now we wait to see who takes the Williams job.

Relevant articles:

I really was rooting for Charles last season, but he seems to have an issue with pressure. Not sure how well he can handle the mental game. He sure is a better driver than Carlos, but less consistent. IMO. Let’s see what next year brings.

1 Like

Agree. Although I don’t know if it was the pressure, or Charles simply trying too hard to get back into the game and making mistakes after he started giving up points. He certainly handled the pressure well when going wheel-to-wheel with Max early in the season.

1 Like

I think that Ferrari had some fundamental handling issues that were get under raps (potentially some floor stalls mid corner similar to WIlliam’s dodgy diffuser from a few years ago). The Paul Ricard spin was weird to my eye. Pressure might have been a factor, but I am not sure its the whole story.

1 Like

1 Like

“Leaving it all out there like that …. Dangerous” LH on the radio

Mick 2023 Merc Reserve driver.

Good place for him to end up. He would have to show something pretty special to get the call-up once Lewis retires so I’m not sure he will get a race seat ever there. Probably end up in reserve driver purgatory like Devries and Gutierrez did there.

That’s gotta be challenging having a Dad who is super famous at it. My Dad is a super power in science and I deliberately avoided mathematics growing up since I didn’t want to “compete”. Which, of course, was idiotic. But, good for him for racing despite the challenge of a famous father! I suppose the silver lining is that his dads celebrity and success probably opened doors that would otherwise be closed.

I think the Lewis seat will be for Kimi Antonelli.

Depends on if Lewis hangs on that long. Kimi has, at best, 2 more seasons in jnr formula (F3 in 23 and F2 in 24). And then I’d expect Merc to do the same as they did with George and let him cut his teeth in Williams or another.

I don’t think Vesti will get a race seat.

1 Like

It’s simple really, Andreas is leaving mclaren, and Andreas is replacing him

Is this fir real? Is FIA seriously trying to say the drivers can’t have and express options about anything other than racing? Good luck with that, that’s sort of antithetical to celebrity, lol.

Yet another moment where F1 looks bad. They should team up with FIFA and really go for it. Next race: Pyongyang.

1 Like

Seb send off video:

He’s kind of channeling a cooler version of James May.

1 Like

17 posts were split to a new topic: 2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread