2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

These have been around for many moons. In 1968 I saw John Cannon use one to beat the likes of Hulme, McLaren, Donohue, Hall, etc. at the Laguna Seca CanAm race, which was run in a day long torrential downpour. And that was on the very fast, original (two testicle) version of the track. :grin:

What I think I’d look like:

What everyone on grid actually sees:

Would rain x not work on a visor?

Rain-X works fine. It has to be raining really hard or you have to be mired in the field for visibility to be an issue in karts I find. Otherwise I don’t really have too many issues rain racing.

It does but it’s not all that. Rain x needs constant reapplication. For sprint racing it’s great. I find for my car it’s not worth the hassle.

I started using permitter seal tear offs. They have good rain resistance and I find up here in the PNW that rain isn’t the issue. It’s all the crap people drag on the track when going off that causes crap visibility. So no more scratched visors. Get mud/dirt/debris just yank the tear off and keep going.

2 Likes

Some what random but may be an indicator of F1’s popularity, regardless of the championship irregularity. Kristen Bell, a Daniel Riccardo fan??? This image is from her twitter feed that got her cancelled because she posed with some LA County Sheriffs, who have a poor image.

1 Like

Her husband Dax Shepard is a fresh F1 fan as well and I believe they had Danny on their podcast last year. He made the rounds on a few podcasts last year. I listened to his episode of Smartless (Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Sean Hayes) not too long ago.

Drive to Survive for all its flaws has certainly been a boon for building the American F1 fan base.

4 Likes

More Aston news:

Krack brings with him a wealth of experience after leading BMW’s global motorsport operation since 2014. In that role he was in charge of BMW’s Formula E, GT and IMSA programmes, as well as its planned expansion into the new LMDh formula for IMSA and WEC, including the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Back when I was starting iracing :smiley:

1 Like

COTA was WILD. There were so many people there, so many celebrities, it was insane. Austin was absolutely PACKED. Normally good BBQ is a 1 hour wait. That weekend there were lines literally a mile long

Riccardo was on Dax’s “Armchair Expert” Podcast. It was a great episode. Dax is a motorhead, used to work for GM before acting. So the conversation was a little deeper than “oh my gosh, how fast do you go?” Good listen.

1 Like

Was Ben Dover not available?

1 Like
1 Like

Super interesting. I especially found the aero balance part to be interesting, noting that the car’s downforce bias is farther rearward than the current cars. I suspected that would be the case with the car relying heavily on the ground effect and big honkin’ diffuser/venturi tunnels. I had a thought when they first came out with the new aero regulations that this might benefit a driver like Vettel who relies heavily on a planted rear-end, when he was so dominant in the double-diffuser/exhaust blowing V8 era.

I’m so curious on how the drivers will adapt their styles and if we will see different drivers (like Vettel), excelling more in the new cars.

1 Like

Meanwhile, Alain is pretty fired up about Alpine management.

Seems like it’s a sh*tshow as usual over there. Renault has been promising podiums and wins “next season” since they bought back in in 2016. I hope Alpine’s flashes of speed last year and Fernando’s quest for success are not stymied by the poor management and political in-fighting Alpine/Renault are becoming known for.

1 Like

Hopefully there’s enough room for different design philosophies. Looking at it there doesn’t seem to be a ton.

Yeah the boxes are pretty restrictive. Rumors are that a couple teams have found loopholes though, so we’ll see.

1 Like

There were some reports a couple weeks ago that 2 teams have found something that others havent. thats all I know