2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Well certainly he didn’t just jump from playing F1 2021 to an F2 seat, there were steps in-between. It would truly be insane to put someone with no real-life racing experience into an F2 seat (which is as fast as IndyCar). But his real karting career looks to have been from 2007 to 2012. Then he started esports in 2017 and the real-life drives came after that. So the argument could be made that karting and esports were his jumping off point, though he seems to have no real karting happening for 5 years or so in there.

Either way, his real results aren’t really mind-blowing so either he comes with a chunk of backing or he is riding the wave of marketing hype behind him for his esports career.

From a competence perspective he’s certainly not a simmer to real life story. His karting results aren’t fantastic but finishing 13th in Jnr Max at Kartmasters means he knows how to peddle.

But it’s F1, and they’ll do anything for the story.

My local track has an adjacent road course and they were having a track day for bikes last time I was there. A bike guy came up and asked about my kart (lo206) and I told him a little about it. He said something like “That’s crazy! I can’t imagine going that fast an inch off the ground! Too crazy for me” He then got back on his Ducati to head off to his next session on the road course… I was seriously dumfounded as he drove away… People look at everything through their own experience I guess.

1 Like

Yes, John it is insane, but so is 23 TT wins :slight_smile:

only real Esports-Pro that I know of is the worlds fastest gamer winner.
Aaaaaand nevermind… he raced karts for 9 years and formula ford for 1

proceeds to hop on a rocket with wheels

1 Like

Gentlemen, a short view back to the past

Speaking of Spa repairs, here’s old Spa and it looked very different. I think this was for the movie.

1 Like

In the wet there, was that one of the three laps behind the pace car before they called it a day? :roll_eyes:

I don’t get why the FIA doesn’t mandate a spec removable “mud flap” piece of carbon that goes behind the wheel to reduce spray so we can actually race in the wet again.

3 Likes

Would having them be against ruleset? Seems like a no brainer.

I would think that a lot of the spray comes from the diffuser as well. Hard to put any kind of flap without ruining the aerodynamics I suppose.

That’s why the FIA would have to mandate them. A team could not independently make something, that’d be against the rules regarding where aerodynamic bodywork can be. And I doubt anyone would willingly put what would essentially be a parachute behind each of the wheels.

1 Like

I was thinking about karts, ackchooly! Since we are mechanical grip only, should make for more pleasant rain racing.

To your and Berts points, aero changes things.

1 Like

One more month and we’ll start seeing the new cars, though I imagine, more than ever, that the launch cars will be VERY minimal as to not give anything away. Even in testing I’m sure they’ll be saving things for the first race.

I can imagine the launch cars being painted version of the ‘spec’ car F1 supplied :slight_smile: Be more like livery reveals. Wouldn’t surprise me.

2 Likes

My first rain race was interesting for me. I was shocked by how little you can see when following someone

Yeah, I think we could do “better”.

There’s always Tanguys whirlybird thingy. Or this propellor version:

Rick has got one. He says it works amazingly well. You could not convince me to wear one. Even if I had to drive blind.
Windshield wipers maybe?

Didn’t even realize they still made whirly visors.

Or, just be in the lead.

1 Like

Ok so this falls into the “great gifts for karters” category. It’s wierd enough that you’d feel silly buying it but sure would love it as a gift. It’s not cheap, either!