2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Red Bull Racing F1 Boss Wins Mercedes Factory Tour In Charity Auction

Well, that’s gonna be awkward.

1 Like

“Red Bull team boss goes missing after charity visit to Mercedes’ factory”

3 Likes

I’d give good money to watch Christian and Toto race rental karts no holds barred to resolve a tie or something. Would be like the mechanics race at gopro. F1 should make this happen, annual team principals race. My money is on Guenther.

Horner record: https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/christian-horner/
Toto record: https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/christian-toto-wolff/

More Lando:

Ferrari Shirt reveal 2022:

1 Like

I still love that Horner and Brundle interview “it’s a shame you weren’t fast enough to get in f1”

Watching the Red Bull launch. Car looks very basic as expected. Three front wing elements compared to Haas’ four elements. Tighter sidepods than the Haas with bigger inlets. No DRS on it yet.

The rest looks really similar. I wonder if DRS and how it’s mounted will be an area teams will exploit.

1 Like

1 Like

it’s a show car with redbull livery.

2 Likes

Christ that nose looks like a, uhhh… duck bill? Not a fan of how that looks compared to last year.

can’t wait for the merc launch lol

1 Like

Spot on Alan. I was trying to find a side pod pic comparison. But yeah, dead nuts livery release!

The livery looks really sick on the car though. I am liking how the cars look with the actual graphics on them.

Livery comparison to last year.

Seeing official accounts say “this is the RB18” and the thousands of “:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:” is giving me all kinds of mental nausea .

1 Like

2 Likes

Maybe you all knew this but it didn’t dawn on me until the Red Bull reveal. The side pods look like there is some crash protection and the front wing looks more robust with no tiny bits and radiused integrated pieces. Indy cars seems to get through many more crashes with less damage than F1 because the front wings are simpler. There have so many disappointing F1 races because someone loses a front wing in the opening laps but I will miss those all those aero do-dads.

I don’t know about crash structure on the side pods, but the front wings in 2021 were dramatically simplified compared to the wings of previous years, and the 2022 regs simplified them even more. Less small bit to fine tune air movement, and more large surfaces. This was done to reduce turbulent air coming off the wing, but it will probably also make them stronger/less susceptible to major damage impacts as well.

This car doesn’t even comply with the regulations. It’s almost exactly the same as the show car.
I got really excited when the blue came up and I thought they had finally changed the livery. Nope. Same as usual

Basically: Guy who says he works for a F1 supplier says only the Haas and McLaren will be the “real” car during reveals and the rest will all be livery mock-ups on the FIA concept car, which were sold to teams to allow them to promote. He gives numbers on how many cars each team bought from the FIA.

Down in the comments he says Alpine will be the biggest surprise, just based on the general vibe he’s getting from the teams he’s dealing with. Alpine seems the most positive and excited to get going.

That’s actually good news. I am excited for Alpine as their recent car available to purchase looks like a heck of a fun car (when it doesn’t self immolate).

Further research by the reknown Dr. Clarkson suggests that there will be some growing pains with their f1 car:

I am gonna be cheering for them because I really do like their cars and they’re not Ferrari.

Is this misdirection or are they finalizing design up till last minute? The redbull shots show completely different parts. Not even close to same shape, for example.

The point of this is just to give us an idea of livery but not the actual car, correct?

The concept renderings that Bert posted are just outside estimations on what the livery would look like, nothing official from Red Bull. They aren’t representative of the real car in any way. The Red Bull official reveal is just the livery on the FIA’s concept they built to give fans an idea of what the 2022 cars would look like.

There is no finalizing the design really. There are checkpoints they need to hit like making sure it passes the crash tests, so then pieces of it will be final. But the aero bits, essentially everything you can see on the car are going to be developed the entire season.

Most years, the teams release a very basic version of their car to the media in these reveals to keep the secrets hidden until the last minute. But usually you can draw some conclusions on the team’s design philosophy pre-testing. This year, since the rule change is so big, everyone is going to hold their hands close to their chest until the last minute and give nothing away.

1 Like