2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

The pods and nose look lumpy…

There were rumors that Williams was having issues getting their car assembled… I wonder if the lumpiness is some manufacturing flaw or if they are trying something funky. The floor even looks wavy (more than usual).

Something odd is going on I think. The packaging is super tight on the pods. Unlike the Aston and Alfa, there’s no massive undercut/faux double-floor. It looks like the bodywork is literally heat shrunk around the radiator, and then it flattens after that.

Exactly, also the intake above the driver is pretty chunky too. That packaging literally looks really odd.

1 Like

I saw it and thought fw14b.

It’s very odd looking.

Maybe trying to have as little interference with the air going to the rear wing?
They might not be getting enough downforce so they are trying to get more from the wing

I think the bumps are intentional. They are some areas that flow attachment should be high. And rules prevent additional devices. If they are look to modify air flow this might be one of the only ways to achieve if

And as a person that worked in carbon for a while. Even on my first ever infusion i didn’t have any defects that big. I can’t imagine even the poorest F1 team manufacturing something with that large of defect.

1 Like

That would certainly fit the bill of “something funky”. In one breakdown I watched yesterday, there was concern that the Haas’ bulbous pods might have issues with flow-detachment as well. Maybe there’s something to that.

Interesting that Aston Martin is only team with top louvers on the side pods as of now. Don’t know about red Bull because we haven’t seen a real car.

I remember there was a period where surfboards were experimenting with bumpy surfaces for hydrodynamic aero reasons. Similar maybe.

1 Like

Seems weird they put out the renders of what looks like a very different car. Then immediately drive and release images of the actual car.

1 Like

If anyone wants to cause brain pain, I suggest going on Twitter and reading the debate from Lewis and Max fans about their karting careers that erupted the last couple days. :upside_down_face: :joy:

https://images.app.goo.gl/F4ASpEyo44pJiaau8

https://images.app.goo.gl/AXEprbpxXPUPTCFv7

There are 2 cone shaped side impact structures top and bottom required in the sidepods of F1 cars. I think this is a main force in shaping the parameters of the sidepods being wide at the front. Is that perhaps what’s also poking through on the Williams?

TLDR? Like the Chernobyl Exclusion zone, There’s only so much formuladank exposure you can take.

1 Like

I could use a laugh where am I looking?

it started here then branched off https://twitter.com/f1jm_/status/1493224099677671424

1 Like

I missed the Williams shakedown yesterday, the #FW44 is the most radical #F1 car so far.
It looks like the adoption of Alpine's centreline cooling has shrunk the sidepods so much, that the top half of the inlet is just blowing thru louvers to create downwash over the tunnels! pic.twitter.com/SljqWSUQFc

— Craig Scarborough (@ScarbsTech) February 16, 2022

Ferrari leaked:

2 Likes

some correct decisions were made int he livery department

4 Likes

It’s… beautiful.

The red gradient on last year’s car was awful. Classic Rosso Corsa with black details can never go wrong. Big 90s vibes. The car looks great with the black wheel covers even.

1 Like

I… I love it. Thank you ferrari!!!
Reminds me of the 90s ferrari

Edit: wow TJ said the exact same thing

1 Like

Apparently mercedes has changed the exhaust position on their engine, making it a tighter package. this might be how williams was able to package their car the way they did.
williams is also hiding some of the rear floor elements with whats pretty much a box. (3rd picture in @Alan_Dove reply
They also havent shown the rear of the car yet