2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Can I say it… why do they have to be so boring always? Their car is always just a red blob. (Ferrari).

… coz it looks awesome :slight_smile:

Because they don’t need anything else. Ferrari basically has claim to the color red. Red IS Ferrari. You see a red F1 car, you instantly know it’s a Ferrari. Ferrari is the oldest marque in the sport, and they have literal decades of classic, beautiful Grand Prix cars done in bright red. Can’t throw away all that built-up heritage. Good livery design is about doing more with less.

The other Ferrari liveries I like are ones with the white and Italian tricolore on them.

2 Likes

Yeah they lean so hard on tradition. I get it. But I thats also why I dislike Ferrari so much. That and they are always so enraging. I think Seb was poorly treated and it shows a great deal about how they act.

Just Italiano passion. 🤌🏻 ← that’s a “chef’s kiss” emoji but the forum doesn’t support it I guess…

I’m not a huge Ferrari fan either. Too many blunders and foibles and emotion. I’m dead inside.

Ferrari is the third oldest marque in the sport behind Mercedes and Alfa Romeo.

The 488 series is a thing of beauty & well executed, so there’s that. But their “buyer’s program”, as described by Jay Leno, is rather odd.

1 Like

Unless you’re Mercedes.

Screen shots from the launch, look how concave the top of the side pod is.

1 Like

Looks like the nose attached to the front plane of the wing. as bert said, the side pods are the interesting bit

1 Like

Btw, FIA conveniently announced at the same time as the launch:

-Massi is out.
-Race Support Control (supposedly like VAR in football/soccer)
-No more direct radio communication with the race director

2 Likes

Ferrari’s nose looks similar in shape to Alfa’s but is attached at the front plane. Those sidepods are wild. Very interesting.

BTW if you aren’t following this guy, he does some interesting aero analysis of the car releases, if you’re into that sort of thing: https://www.youtube.com/c/KYLEDRIVES

He’s a former aerodynamicist at Mercedes from '19-'21 apparently.

1 Like

Massi will be replaced by Eduardo Freitas(WEC) and Niels Wittich(DTM)

DTM was a shit show too last year, esepecially the last round.

I was going to say, I remember seeing drama from both DTM and WEC for how their race directors handled some issues that came up towards the end of the year. I would cautiously call this a lateral move at best in terms of race directing personnel, but we’ll see what happens in the first 4 races or so.

2 Likes

Those sidepod concavities make me think of soup. Fill them with liquid so Kimi can have the drink.

I wonder if it’s generating downforce from the top of the pod or its just funneling air to the rear wing (or both lol).

Love the car, wouldn’t want to be hit by the nose though.

Don’t love the suit.

kinda like 2011 mclaren

Hi welcome to Mcdonalds, what can I get for you?

1 Like

The cynic in me wonders if some sidepod designs are in order to encourage a disruptive airflow to make the car less easy to follow