2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Who has been the most dominant Constructor across all the years they have won the Constructor’s Championship?

Of course, there have been different points systems over the years. In the early days, points were only awarded back to 6th place. In any case, it is an interesting view. With the exception of Williams, it is closer than I would have guessed.

% Margin is:

• 2021 Mercedes scored 613.5
  • 28 more points than Red Bull
  • 4.56%

Then average for each year a Constructor won the championship and you have the below table.

Constructor AVERAGE of Margin (%) COUNT of Constructor’s Champ.
Tyrrell 50.7% 1
Williams 37.4% 9
Mercedes 29.4% 8
McLaren 28.3% 8
Brabham 28.2% 2
Matra 25.7% 1
Cooper 24.6% 2
Ferrari 24.6% 16
Red Bull 21.3% 4
Lotus 20.8% 7
Benetton 18.3% 1
Vanwall 16.7% 1
BRM 14.3% 1
Brawn 10.8% 1
Renault 3.6% 2
Average 26.11% 64
1 Like

I find myself rooting for the underdog, how can you not like this guy and want him to succeed! I know its not a popularity contest, but this guys personality is very infectious and I’d like to see him do well.

I’m a first year F1 fan, so I have no skin in this game. I just really like Riccardo :+1:

2 Likes

Given the disparity of the cars, I feel like in F1, driver personality is hugely important. Daniel is a great driver, of course, and it doesn’t really matter if he’s in a winning car or not. He’s gonna do some cool stuff and make everyone smile afterwards.

2 Likes

These are the mule cars (2018-spec with changes to accommodate 18" wheels), so it’s sort of irrelevant, but look at that monster front wing on the Alpine. Far more complicated than anything we saw in '18. I know some purists prefer cleaner, less fussy cars, but to me that thing is a work of art and should be in a museum. It’s sculpture.

Also wholesome Alonso giving a young fan a tour of his car during their break in testing today.

2 Likes

It’s a bummer we shouldn’t see wings and barge boards with that level of aero detail anymore, but if it results in closer racing I’m all for it. I’m really excited for next season and hoping we’ll see close racing front to back in the field. We’d expect Merc and Redbull to remain up front with dominant engines, but I think Ferrari will be close to them. Then the midfield is all up for grabs it seems. Hopefully we can see steps forward for Williams and Haas to have even more contenders for points each race.

F1 has a couple of pit walks on YouTube right now of the post season testing and they give some great looks at the way teams are testing the new wheels, the wheel covers, and bigger (some) brakes.

Looks more like this to me:

Guess F1 is going for the “dope” look in '22.

Volume will be less for sure.Those shorter sidewalls will be stiffer. I’m wondering if grip will be reduced.

Not likely, just less forgiving. With a tall sidewall, the tire has more flex than with a short sidewall. Just means it will grip up to its limit then break loose easier than before. Also a short sidewall tire will not suck up the bumps as much as a tall sidewall tire, so expect to have different suspension settings which will also change shock compression rates and handling characteristics. I am curious to see how the Teams testing fairs in the next few months.

1 Like

This is in line with what I’m thinking. Suspension will just be down to a different rate torsion bar, since traditional shocks aren’t used any more.

Insightful stuff on the new tires courtesy of Pirelli: What we learned about Pirelli’s new 18-inch tyres at Abu Dhabi

1 Like

Harder cars to drive with understeer got me thinking bout that 2004 renault :drooling_face:

Big news if you’re into this sorta thing. Audi already throwing shade at Merc.

“In an apparent swipe to rivals Mercedes, Duesmann and Hoffmann opened their the letter by congratulating Todt on what it regarded as a fair conclusion to this year’s Formula 1 championship. They referred specifically to the final lap, on which Max Verstappen passed Lewis Hamilton to clinch the title following a controversial restart, which Mercedes considered appealing against for four days before backing down.”

2 Likes

They’ll probably rock up with a diesel and leave the rest for dust :joy::joy:

aus-2
Those two have history!

2 Likes

What’s everyone’s guesses on teammate battles? Will Mercedes let Russell beat Hamilton in some races, if it’s looking like a title fight for Hamilton?

I cannot wait for the catwalk battle, Russel vs Lewis. Fashion wars inc.

Dope look. Also, nice Posse.

Lewis, however, takes risks, and is less traditional. He gets people talking with this and, therefore, is doing it right:

I told some friends of mine before this season that I thought this was the last year that Hamilton could win a championship. I think Max is gonna win again.

Hamilton and Russell will take points from each other. If Ferrari is back, Sainz and LeClerc will take points from each other. Who knows, maybe one of the McLaren or Alpine drivers get themselves in the fight. But I think the easiest route to the championship is for Max assuming they turn up with a good car.

I think Russell has been patiently waiting for this opportunity, stuck in the Williams for so long that he is going to fight Lewis hard and it will be difficult for the team to manage. Their in-fighting will let Max win again. I just can’t see George playing a Bottas role.

Assuming the cars remain the same levels of competitiveness, though I think Ferrari will be in the mix more.

3 Likes

I see Russell as a team player. I think he will be a better wingman than bottas honestly. He just seems like he won’t try to fight Lewis, I think he’ll know where his battles are. Don’t take me wrong, if Russell has the chance at a first win, I think he’ll take it, but from there, who knows

I agree, I’m pretty sure he’s been told look, Lewis will retire at the end of ‘2x help him win the title until then after that you’re no1. Or something like that.

1 Like

He’s already done things for the team that bottas has never done. For example, calling out the FIA for the season finale. He will be a well behaved teammate

1 Like