2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

I think they were owned by Chrysler back then. They went through a lot of ownership lol.

I saw their f1 car when I went to Italy. It’s gorgeous

2 Likes

I am fond of the triangular intakes that look like a fighter plane.

ooooffff

Sweet baby v12 that was amazing. It should have its own podcast :joy:

1 Like

In the absence of any fresh F1 footage, this man provides us with the sounds of racing:

1 Like

Begs the question, what does Philip Morris get out of being Ferraris partner via “Mission Winnow”.

Near as I can tell, it’s a bullshit org that was created to dodge advertising restrictions.

But, the average viewer is likely unawares that Mission Winnow = Marlboro et al. So, not exactly useful from a brand recognition/advertising standpoint.

Mission Winnow is a change lab focused on reframing global conversations, sparking open debate, connecting people and supporting the realization of innovative ideas.

Lol bad faith statement. Total nonsense. Here’s an innovative idea: stop selling smokes.

Sorry if I seem prickly, still haven’t forgiven them for the cigarette machine in the arcade when I was a kid.

(Normally I’d fault Ferrari’s ethics, here, but it’s a long-standing partnership and racing requires large piles of money so I’m somewhat of a hypocrite, in that id take the $, too).

Regardless, what is the point of obfuscating your corporate identity so that you can funnel money to a race team?

2 Likes

The best onboard footage I’ve seen of a Lamborghini powered F1 car was Martin Donnelly qualifying the Lotus 102 - Lamborghini at Estoril in 1990. It’s especially gripping, and poignant, when you consider what happened to Donnelly two weeks later in Jerez, in the exact same car.

This video is also a very good example why I don’t pay as much attention to today’s F1 anymore.

1 Like

The old vids the difference between who was good and who wasn’t was so obvious. Even with just simple rev matching and that kind of thing. It’s funny. I’ve watched so many Senna onboard I can’t help but get frustrated hearing the slow lazy throttle technique everyone else uses in the old cars. Wanna hear me some bap bap baps

Man these older f1 cars are so much more interesting. They are raw and lively, dancing about and always on edge. I don’t miss the risks associated with these but that’s’s what I would want to drive, would want to watch.

1 Like

Agreed, in addition to the fact that they pulled the logo from all their EU races to avoid issue. What’s the point?

Keep in mind that without tobacco and alcohol sponsorships, F1 probably would’ve died long ago. Also, it’s important to note that culturally, the acceptability of smoking and drinking differ around the world. In Europe it’s far more acceptable (or was).

I imagine the sponsorship has some value, even if it’s subliminal. Ferrari’s team logo from the 2010s was designed to look like the Marlboro logo. And when tobacco sponsorship was banned, they ran the barcode logo which still looked like the Marlboro logo, and the Mission Winnow graphic follows the same lines as the classic Marlboro chevron. So maybe even the viewers are able to connect the two without seeing the words.

Or it’s just a convenient way to write off a cool $160 million each year.

Tobacco and alcohol sponsorships made sense when we ate raw beef and had no risk management skills.

It’s all fintech and weed now. F1 sponsorships gonna be interesting in 5 years.

Thankfully we did not have a Purdue Pharma opiates mobile.

1 Like

It’s amazing how many cryptocurrency logos have popped up in the sport in the past year or so.

I also read somewhere Santander will return?

On the winnow logo, I never understood what it meant nor knew it was linked to tobacco. I’m sure I’m not the only one :sweat_smile:

Yeah, it was Phillip Morris basically creating a way to sponsor Ferarri. There’s a lot of additional benefits sponsoring F1 beyond pure branding. It’s hospitality for deal making etc… all that kind of stuff.

1 Like

British American Tobacco is still there all over the Mclaren too.

Spa changes

Gonna be needing rescans for all the games I guess.

1 Like