2022 IMSA Rolex 24

Nope. Ending up in a snow bank would indicate a total failure of the TCS or a human working as intended.

…error between seat and steering wheel. Kinda like the computer error between keyboard and chair.

3 Likes

To be fair the roads were covered in about 6 inches of snow, sometimes grip ceases to exist and you end up having an impromptu parking job

Thanks guys! The cars look cool after a 24. The only damage is one tire mark on the edge of the front bumper on the right side, a small nick in the left rocker, a dented muffler tip, and a little chunk out of the far right side diffuser strake.

Overall leader did 761 laps. We did 707 laps.

4 Likes

Also congrats on what I believe to be the most liked comment on KP!
(that ive seen)
So incredible how reliable these cars and engines have to be. Im amazed that some cars can get away damage free. Id like to see an all white car after 24hrs to really get a sense of all the rubber and oil

One pilot or a couple?

Zach can correct me but I think they had four drivers - Ryan Hardwick, Jan Heylen, Zacharie Robichon and Richard Lietz.

1 Like

Here ya go Elias! Group 44 Jaguar at Daytona in 1984. The winner completed 640 laps, second place completed 631 laps. This car finished third but was 28 laps down. It amazes and concerns me that was the first year I attended the 24 Hours of Daytona. Google Group 44 Jaguar XJR-5 to see a clean one.

2 Likes

Do you know how they divide it up? Assuming 6 hrs per driver. I suppose it’s based around required pit stops.

1 Like

Some are divided time wise to minimize fatigue and some driver changes are to stay competitive with another team such as you don’t want a gentlemen driver being your shot at a win vs Kobayashi. Also a lot of stops are aligned with fuel which I think in DPi was 30 seconds or also brake changes. Theres a minimum amount of driver changes allowed and a minimum time I’m pretty sure as the team TGM car owner was also a driver and had to drive the minimum 45 minutes for the 4 hour race the day before the Rolex 24.

1 Like

But most if not all end up either changing tires or adding fuel to the pit stop.

Holy crap. And I thought my helmet looked bad after a race day😂

When I went to the Indy 500 I got to see the winning car closeup. The neon green Menards showed every solar of rubber

1 Like

There’s a bit of strategy involved with it. But there’s a minimum drive time for each driver. For the 24 I think it’s 4 hours (could be wrong). Most teams will try to get their AM driver’s time completed early and then let the faster drivers run back to back for the rest of the race. There is a rule that one driver can only run 4 hours in any 6 hour timeframe. And there is a maximum drive time of 13hrs. So you have to plan it out to have your hot shoe in for the finish to have the best shot at it.

2 Likes

Here’s the nose of the TGM car. That’s the best I have right now. I can take some more once I get in the shop today.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I feel like I knew at one point, but why the yellow headlights?

It’s a class thing. IMSA requires it to help distinguish car classes at night. If you are in a GTD car and you see white headlights in your mirror you know it’s not in your class.

1 Like

Do you guys use a clear wrap to make cleanup easier? Or, too costly?

As a kid in France, the standard car light is/was yellow like this. Not sure why the US went with bluer lights.

My recollection from driving in Europe was the yellow headlights were peculiarly French. No other country had the yellow headlights. I’ve never driven a car rented in France but I’d heard from others that did that the yellow headlights did not light the road up very well. I believe the yellow headlight lenses are long gone now.

1 Like