2022 IMSA Rolex 24

It’s mostly to help protect the bodywork. Since they’re carbon and only get a thin layer of wrap. The clear bra just adds another layer to slow down debris going through to the carbon. The byproduct is it helps clean too.

@CourterZT How extensive is the tear-down and refresh/replace/rebuild process for each car to get ready for Sebring?

Pretty much a full rebuild. Suspension/axles will be used for test days and spares. Engine and gearbox will get serviced

2 Likes

Alright, thats very clever!

How often do you find parts or connections that started to fail after 24hrs?

*knock on wood; we’ve been pretty solid. Gt3 cars are built pretty well now. But there’s a lot of prep work that goes into it. Our guys are damn good and have a lot of pro endurance racing experience. So they prepare for things outside of just normal racing prep. Like prep for contact repairs, spares with the alignment set and ready to go, etc. It’s pretty amazing how much thought goes into every detail.

3 Likes

Sounds like the good Pro teams have learned from watching the 3 1/2 minute transmission change Joest Racing did on their Porsche 962s at LeMans. Plan for everything!

1 Like

That was the Audi R8 LMP1, but yes. That definitely shook things up and made a lot of people step their game up. But it’s really hard to out prepare Joest.

I stand corrected. I’m getting old. :grin: I remember everyone was shocked when one after another the Audis went into the garage and came out a few minutes later with a whole new gearbox/suspension assembly. IIRC, the ACO put a stop to that kind of thing pretty quickly.

I’m fairly confident that you’re still allowed to change back halves like that still. The big thing you can’t change is engine. You have to finish the race on the engine you entered the weekend with. I’m sure that stopped a bunch of people from using a practice engine, qualifying engine, race engine, etc each weekend. The cost now would be insane if that was allowed.

1 Like

Renger loved the helmet btw @tjkoyen

This was my first time working the 24 and let me tell ya, that overnight low was brutal. Although it might of been the only thing that kept me awake. Standing in the garage at 3:30am watching the team tear apart the 01 after leading and then having the 02 go out a few hours later also after leading took the wind right out of our sails.

But still a great experience overall, just happy to be home and sleep in my own bed after two weeks in Daytona.

5 Likes

The attrition rate this year was pretty brutal. We were on the back side of the garages and there were cars going in and out of them the entire race. That definitely helped us win but it also took a little bit of the excitement out when only four GTD cars were on the lead lap and only one had any pace to compete with us. I thought we’d be battling the 57 until they had the hood pin failure. Then the 70 lost front brake pads completely.

I was one of the Marshals at Pit Central under the Rolex Clock Wed-Sun. I woke up yesterday morning in a hotel on Daytona Beach, sunrise, calm waters but for rolling waves into shore at high tide. Arrived Detroit 1:30pm just in time to shovel snow. Very cool and memorable week.

MX5 Fri Race driven by Michael (GA Univ student) was a top contender… then hit the outer wall past pit-in with unrepairable damage. I saw the video but not sure what happened. Not sure of Michaels number… car numbers in my head got blended into soup.

2 Likes

It found the damp yellow line with the left side tires and just turned right instead of left.

1 Like