2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

I think RBR’s thinking is to have enough lead for a pitstop in hand just in case, but not much more. There is really no upside to taking on more risk in passing more backmarkers than required.

In the age of the budget cap you really need to win at the slowest and least stressful speed possible. For all we know they may be adding an extra race or two in terms of lifing parts. So ‘true’ pace is probably masked by a lot of teams.

2 Likes

I didnt think it was a boring race at all even if you include Max. Max is a peak form and the RB is a beast perfectly suited to him. I find it awesome to watch perfection and mastery on the track in its own right.

But beside that, the race was really interesting. There were 65 overtakes after all! A return to actual race tracks is very welcome as well in my opinion!

Watching the Merc’s massive improvement and ability to stomp both Aston and Ferrari was really cool. The off-track development is a race in and of itself! I mean hell, Russell was the first car to start behind a Red Bull and beat it this season! Russell going P12 to P3 was fantastic. Russell passing Stroll and then Hamilton passing Alonzo a few second later really sent an exciting message.

Zhou had a great race and is looking better and better as he gets comfortable in F1. I’m excited to see how he develops over the next few years.

Alpine had a good weekend. Gasly had a brilliant qualy. P4 on merit was pretty spectacular. The race did not go quite as well, but I think they showed that they are indeed faster than the McLaren and the rest of the midfield.

Sure, there was not a whole lot of tension (perhaps a moment when it was thought Perez could hunt down Russell), but it was a great race in my opinion!

3 Likes

Another (to predictable) F1 race . . . :exploding_head:

1 Like

Another predictable f1 moment:

With PGA merging with LIV golf it appears the whitewashing plan is going great!

A post was merged into an existing topic: F1 Memes and Funnies

Hulkenberg was robbed of his P2 grid position. I understand a rule for safety, but I don’t see how he could have complied with it in any away based on when the red flag came out and where he was on the track.

In the end it won’t make much difference as I’m sure it will be yet another non-race with Max scampering off into the distance.

1 Like

Yeah chalk that one up to ‘shit happens’

Should be an interesting mid field race at least, I do like wet Quali/ dry race events. It tends to generate some good scraps as those who had less aero for Quali knowing it would be dry for the race battle to get past the guys who opted for higher Quali aero to get a better grid position, at the cost of race pace.

I think russel bit on max car, and left all fight to the end of race between LH and FA! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::muscle:

Alex Albon :clap: Lewis was certainly going for it until Alonso put the hammer down in the last few laps.

1 Like

It feels like the Aston is starting to close up on the Red Bull now with the upgrades. Would’ve been interesting to see how close Fernando could’ve stuck to Max if he didn’t have to lift and coast all the time.

This might be the part of the season where the wind tunnel penalty starts to hurt Red Bull. But that car and Max are so dialed in, it doesn’t matter much. Max could still win every race to the end of the season.

It is indeed just getting into that. The pundits on the feed I get here were saying RB wind tunnel restriction not only limited how many hours they could spend but also included a clause that all their tunnel time must be used by the end of this month. Although, Adrian Newey can pretty much look at a part and run it through the wind tunnel in his head :joy:

Watch Aston and Merc close the gap during the rest of the season, looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Let us enjoy Guenther as a hockey star

I’m a high performance athlete, toot toot:
https://www.reddit.com/r/iRacing/comments/14g7cxi/dont_know_wholl_have_a_heatstroke_faster_me_or_my/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

Deal for Formula 1 Team Reflects Growing U.S. Interest in the Sport

The actor Ryan Reynolds, the private equity firm RedBird Capital and Otro Capital are among the investors taking a stake in Renault’s Alpine team.

To the best of my knowledge, Seb has no involvement but here he is anyways.

Checo!

1 Like

This sprint has been the best 24 laps of the season

We had an actual pass for the lead…

Not that it lasted long.

If you watch racing to see who will win the race, F1 isn’t for you.

1 Like

The emotional rollercoaster of cheering for Hulk in that one. Thought maybe in the Sprint the Haas could hang onto its tires just long enough, but still a strong drive with spectacular opening laps. Legitimately on pace with Perez and barely slower than Max in those open 8 laps or so!

1 Like

I’m ticked off the Xfintiy Stream App is down and I cannot watch the race!

The race was pretty good, minus the track limits nonsense.

Agreed on the actual driving (other than some of the karate chopping on the straights), but I have to say that all of the bitching on the radios is getting REALLY old. STFU and drive; that’s what you’re paid to do (or what daddy paid for you to be able to do). :roll_eyes:
:grin:

4 Likes