2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

Charles with a 10 place penalty by race #2. Ouch! They must have absolutely cooked some ECUs in Bahrain. Little to close to a header or turbo maybe?

1 Like

So after FP2 things looking fairly similar to Bahrain. Pecking order hasnā€™t changed much, though Ferrari doesnā€™t look that competitive at all so far. Iā€™m just wondering if all Ferrari cars are on some sort of low-power run plan because none of them looked particularly good, except for Hulkenberg who was consistently pretty good! Faster than both Ferraris almost every lap they turned.

Alonso and Stroll consistently putting up times that are close to Red Bull. It looks like RB vs AM at the moment, but Max always seems to have a little in-hand. Iā€™m sure come race day, RB will crank it up and gap as needed.

Hamilton once again seems to struggle at this track. He had issues last year here and again this year he is not matching Russell.

1 Like

Albon looked respectable with Medium tires.

1 Like

In FP1 especially he looked good. I think Williams isnā€™t bad around this track. Sargeant was a little out to lunch in FP2, but I think the car is okay.

*Scratch that, Sargeant was only a tenth off Albon, times were just pretty close.

De Vries not performing how I expected him to, also what happened to Alfa :man_shrugging: Good stuff from Hulkenburg. My guy Gasly seems to be fitting in nicely at Alpine, needs to qualify better than last race though. Walk in the park for RB (Max) of course, interest will be the other two podium spots.

I donā€™t get the hype around De Vries. There was a reason he didnā€™t ever get a real shake at F1 and it was because heā€™s good but no stand-out superstar. He will be a decent midfielder but I doubt he really has the chops for a top-tier F1 team. His one-off last year was impressive and he is a likable guy, but if he was ever going to be a great F1 driver I would imagine he wouldā€™ve gotten his opportunity like 5 years ago.

I think Alfa focused on long runs, though it seems tire deg is really low so maybe they are overthinking it and didnā€™t need to do that.

The Alpine seems better suited here where the pavement is smoother. I think their aero depends on running the car quite low, so on bumpier tracks they canā€™t do that. Here, they can run it lower and extract more. But that car looks a bit more difficult to dial in. The Aston appears to be super easy to drive and Alonso can get on it from the drop of the green, but the Alpine seems to take a while to set it up right.

1 Like

I thought De Vries would at least be the equal of Tsunoda but may be Iā€™m being a little harsh as it is only the second race of the season!

Hope you are right about Alpha.

Hoping Gasly kicks Ocons arse this weekend tbh:) Alonso in an easy car to drive will be a beast no doubt about it. Hoping that AM and Merc are very even this weekend and we can see a good fight between the two teams.

2x FIA World Karting Champion
F2 Champion
Formula E FIA World Champion (I donā€™t think spec chassis classes should have world championship status, but it is what it is)

De Vries didnā€™t get to F1 because of finances oddly enough (he was always considered minted back in his karting days). He was more than qualified, but thatā€™s the F1 game.

Whether he can produce in F1 is another matter because itā€™s riddled with politics and AT at the moment donā€™t have a great car. But thereā€™s reason for high expectations.

1 Like

I know his resume and I agree heā€™s good, I just think heā€™s only ā€œgoodā€, and it seemed people were expecting him to be some revelation. I actually like him a lot.

His titles are great but letā€™s not forget he only won F2 in his third season and his main completion was Latifi. None of the rest of that grid has made a dent in F1.

I think he will match Yuki, but I think Yuki is out if he doesnā€™t beat De Vries.

1 Like

Redbull has everyone covered like the Merc years of past which isnā€™t exciting, but a part of this sport. I do love that Aston doesnā€™t seem to be a fluke and is regularly up front.

Another thing Iā€™m enjoying is that right now there isnā€™t a defined back of the field team. Both Williams and Haas are in the mix and thereā€™s lots of variability in the remainder of the field.

1 Like

Pretty impressed by Sargeant staying within about 0.05 sec of Albon in FP3 on a concrete canyon track (dislike these in general).

1 Like

That first lap from Sargeant was so promisingā€¦

Then mistake after mistake. Spins, then he loses it in one in his only chance, and drifts it back into the track and bonks the wall and breaks the carā€¦ sloppy.

1 Like

From the onboard it almost looked like he didnā€™t get on the pink area, but he must have. Sucky mistake to do, but speed is good. Hopefully can race forward tomorrow.

1 Like

If Max is out, Alonso has a good chance at Pole.

1 Like

Wow interesting scene out of Red Bull

1 Like

How the fck do you get track limits at T27? Sar would need to have been riding on top of the fence!

He had track limits on the straight by the pit entry by touching the pink area which was in the race directorā€™s notes. Close Q2 at the elimination zone.

2 Likes

Aston front row lockout :joy: game on

Come on Fernando hereā€™s your shot!

1 Like

Kudos to Perez for a mighty lap under pressure.

3 Likes