2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

You could also put verstappen in another car and see what he does.
I’m not a fan, but I sure do agree that he is one of the best.

1 Like

it’s what the engineers want too.

Max’s karting stats combined with his F1 stats combined with his sim stats suggests he is different gravy.

Max’s limitation is whether he gets bored or not. He’s got half an eye on endurance stuff already.

3 Likes

This is pretty much my exact point. Everything he does, he perfects it. He was ranked 31st in the world in FIFA in 2018 while racing in F1 full time. Its unreal.

I’ve always thought that F1 would be more interesting if the drivers had to play musical chairs every 3 races. The Drivers World Championship and the Constructors Champion would have more meaning. Not sure how this would disrupt the sponsorship world.

Problem then is you may as well call it a spec series and be done with it. We can’t forget F1 isn’t just about drivers, it’s a team competition. Drivers vs drivers, Engineers vs engineers, strategists vs strategists etc etc

Good point to consider . . .

Yeah a crazy idea but man, I’d like to see Verstappen race a Haas or Williams for a few weekends. It would still be a team sport, engineer against engineer, strategist against strategist and team vs team rivalry would still be there, less the driver for the Constructors Championship.

This is all you need to watch really.

2 Likes

Also one thing to note, I think the Bahrain race had the lowest number of overtakes since 2010. Not making a judgement in terms of entertainment (and DRS on start/finish straight was shortened), but it’s worthy of note considering the objective of the current regs was to close up the field and making cars follow closer.

I wonder if the degradation played a part in the fact we haven’t seen that many overtakes

I think it’s a number of things.

1. Cars aren’t actually better for racing. Any minor gains in aero wash are negated by lack of slipstream effect. Now teams know their cars too so less chances of variance.
  2. DRS zone 1 was reduced by 80m.
  3. Tyres (maybe?)
  4. Budget cap making drivers more risk averse

Checo was funny in the press conference. Happy to see 3 Red Bull cars on the podium :joy:

I had to lol, in the first video when they’re showing the podium (37:22) Charles came in “2th” and Lennox came in “3th”

PBS ran a story last night. Interesting. DNG Mori and Siemens are also mentioned.

I imagine there are lots of webs of business connections with Russia. Given that Haas was literally sponsored by Russian oligarchs for a year, they probably have some explaining to do.

Yeah. The CNC machines can be used for a wide variety of military applications and are very flexible. You can make tractor parts and also death satellite parts on same machine.

Always question motives on these types of “journalistic” releases. After searching through the nearly $2 billion in exports from USA to Russia, they make a point to mention one and only one company.

That company is less than .2% of the total export dollars.

Don’t want to go the political hit piece route but sure seems to be a targeted job. Or at min, ignoring the real story and that USA is still sending many items to Russia.

Side note; Intel and Microsoft are still dealing with Russia. Seems those could be used in the guidance systems, but hey…

6 Likes
1 Like

Haas’ statement on the Russian deal.
https://www.haascnc.com/about/response.html

3 Likes